Mitsubishi's gettin out of the LCD biz???

Read it on Cnet today that Mitsubishi's getting out of the large LCD arena. To much competition, not enough profit.

http://news.com.com/Mitsubishi+pulli...tml?tag=cd.top

Da Worfster

Wow, Mitsubishi's disappearing fast from a lot of market segments. I've owned two of their direct view TVs over the years, and always regarded them among the best ones out there, which is why it surprised me when they were the first manufacturer to pull out of the direct view market. Supposedly, they got out of the direct view market so they could focus their research on flat panels and big screen TVs. Now that they're pulling out of the large LCD market, that leaves them with only small LCD panels, RPTV, and plasma products. I know tha their plasma panels are made by somebody else, so they really only maintain manufacturing capacity on declining product segments.

Right now, it looks like their core product is their RPTV lineup, but how long before that too gets supplanted? Amazing how quickly the market changes. Mitsubishi for years made some of the best VCRs on the market, but that market's disappearing and they've been an also-ran with DVD players.

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Read it on Cnet today that Mitsubishi's getting out of the large LCD arena. To much competition, not enough profit.

http://news.com.com/Mitsubishi+pulli...tml?tag=cd.top

Da Worfster
    Worf:

I don't think it'll be a big issue here in the states. It sounds like they will keep their 30" and 22" bad boys, and will really be focusing on their DLP (as they have already) as far as projections go. All in all, it's probably a better move for them as most people who are looking at the dmd tvs will probably opt for the DLP set anyway. CRT still rules my home theater at any rate.

Thread Information