Forum Regular

Radio Shack Centrios speakers - Anyone tried them?

(New to this forum, first post) Has anyone used these? They look decent for the price, as an entry level surround set, and for under $200.00CDN, item 401-8171, a steal. The rear speakers description has a misprint, though, and I don't know the size of the drivers. I'm about to lay out some cash for home theater, and will post another thread re. a receiver. http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...log=RadioShack

Forum Regular
    Have you checked the Parts Express catalog yet? If not, then check out page 10 in their latest catalog. Dayton Loudspeaker is PE's house brand and it's usually a great value...their 5.1 system is only $150. I've also heard some nice things about the TEAC LSR-100 system. You can always get some reliable feedback on PE's Tech Talk board if need be. BTW, they also have an MTX system but I don't know anything about it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by headknocker
    Have you checked the Parts Express catalog yet? If not, then check out page 10 in their latest catalog. Dayton Loudspeaker is PE's house brand and it's usually a great value...their 5.1 system is only $150. I've also heard some nice things about the TEAC LSR-100 system. You can always get some reliable feedback on PE's Tech Talk board if need be. BTW, they also have an MTX system but I don't know anything about it.
    Page 10? Nothing in the on-line catalog like this set-up on p10. I'll browse their site for more info, though, and thanks for the input.

Anyway, I went to RS last night and checked this system out. The only 'bass reflex' cabinet, with a port, is the center channel. All the others are sealed. Strangely, the woofer in the front units is on the side of the box. They didn't know how this should be placed, and I suggested that these would cancel each other out if facing each other. Also, the drivers in the center and rear are all the same speaker, but the center is ported and the rears are sealed (but the center has 2 of them).

I also went to Sears and checked out 2 JVC's and a Sony surround receiver. They all claim 100W RMS/channel. How is this going to work out with the center rated at 80W RMS and the rears at 60W RMS? Good chance of blowing them up or what?

AR Newbie Registered Member

Centrios speakers

I just purchased the speakers from the Source. It's exclusive with them. (house brand?)
    $99.98 on sale reg. $249.00 minus $150.00. till june 23rd.
    I checked the internet for similar items and their regular price seemed highly inflated.
    But the sale price is OK.
    Easy to set Up.
    Not Hi Tech sound but good enogh for me.
    I just listen to music off my computer.
    I don't think it's stereo.

It's stereo.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information