Forum Regular

Downloading songs to iPOD from Cd-format?

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an ipod and was curious about something. When I am downloading my music directly form my CD's, should I use the cd origianl format .cda or .wav (which is close?) If I do not anticipate more than 100 or cd's on the 40 gig, why use mp3 format???

Curious?

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    My "10,000 Maniacs unplugged" Cd = 618.3 Mb, as MP3=84.2 Mb @ 192kbs

So, less than 2 cd's per gig gives you less than 80 total cd's on your 40 gig Ipod. If you're concerned about sound quality convert at a higher bit rate. Also the Ipod is designed to store music pulled from your Itunes library stored on your computer, which means we're also talking about 40 gigs of storage there as well. Another thing to keep in mind is how fast does your music collection grow. I personally find it tedious to go through my Itunes library and check or uncheck the songs I want or don't want to copy over because I no longer have enough space on my Ipod.
    Last edited by eisforelectronic; 09-10-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Forum Regular

I'd stick with mp3 or aac..

Quote Originally Posted by Zdawg
    Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an ipod and was curious about something. When I am downloading my music directly form my CD's, should I use the cd origianl format .cda or .wav (which is close?) If I do not anticipate more than 100 or cd's on the 40 gig, why use mp3 format???

Curious?
    Listening to .wav files will result in almost constant hard drive use which will greatly decrease battery life. Most ipods are lucky to get 8 real-world hours per charge. I'd be surprised if you got 4 hours per charge listening to .wav files. By the way, if you haven't already bought the iPod I'd check into iRiver and Rio also.

Thread Information