Forum Regular

DPLII vs Presence Speakers

Those who have DPLII (Surr Back) and Presence speakers, with the RX-V1400/2400 you can't use both so which do you usually choose for TV viewing?

Now with Almonds!

Talking

What does presence do exactly? I have never tried it. I know on mine its only 25wpc for presence. Will you give me an idea at the effect, other than 2 more speakers? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KRiTiKaL
    What does presence do exactly? I have never tried it. I know on mine its only 25wpc for presence. Will you give me an idea at the effect, other than 2 more speakers? Thanks
    The presence speakers are used for conveying the DSP effects. I believe the way that Yamaha's DSP processor works is that the ambient effects are generated using a separate channel. When the presence speakers are not switched on, the DSP effect is mixed into the sound output. When the presence speakers are switched on, the DSP effect is routed directly through the presence speakers. I haven't tried them for myself, so I don't know if this is exactly how it works.

Now with Almonds!
    Yeah, Seems like a waste to me. Using the presence speakers instead of standard surround. Im still not sure of its purpose for a 5.1+ system. Only because Yamaha reccomends that they sit up-front.

Quote Originally Posted by KRiTiKaL
    Yeah, Seems like a waste to me. Using the presence speakers instead of standard surround. Im still not sure of its purpose for a 5.1+ system. Only because Yamaha reccomends that they sit up-front.
    The high mounted effect speakers are used to convey the room ambiance for a particular DSP mode. High mounted presence channels have been used in experimental applications, so the principle of using those types of channels to convey the environment in a soundtrack is valid. But, Yamaha's implementation is not a discrete channel, so the quality of the effect will likely vary quite a bit depending on the source.

Thread Information