Who makes the best looking gear?

It seems that more and more audio manufacturers are finally paying attention to the aesthetic as much as engineering and sound quality. Perhaps this is related to the boom in HT whereas more and more owners "showcase" their prized equipment. Whatever the reason, at least we're not drowning in an endless sea of black rectangular aluminum faceplates anymore.

Personally, I love Rowland's machined faces, Hovland's cool blue lights, and of course Shanling's artistic cd player. For speakers, while I don't care for their laid back sound, Sonus Faber has to be recognized for truly building fine furniture.

So who do you think is designing truly great looking equipment?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Stereophile credited Mark Levinson with launching the highend jewelery look with one of its preamps. See 100 Hot Products on its website under "historical." I haven't seen many highend pieces in person, unfortunately. If you can't plant'em in the spring and harvest'em in the fall you won't find'em around here. I saw a Plinius integrated that looked very substantial - nothing flashy, and its remote was about as deadly as a Samurai sword. I like the Jaguar Anthracite Red finish that Cary uses on some of its amps. I think the 2-tone faceplate on VTL's 5.5 preamp is cool. I've noticed with speakers that little touches here and there can really spruce up a model. Dynaudio's Audience bookshelf speakers used to look not only plain but downright ugly until they changed the baffle. Some of JM Labs' Cobalt speakers (I think they have an SE version at no extra cost) look better to me than the Electra which is a higher end line. Sim Audio's cd players look tough as do some of the Classe players. I can't think of any HT gear like receivers off the top of my head, except Rotel's new HT preamps and amps are nice looking. One thing you don't see anymore is wood panels and wood cases for electronics. I thought they added class to some components.

Cobalt 806
    Electra 906

I hope I did this right

Now that I know how to do this, I can't stop!

That Cary is nice, if a little austere.

VAC makes some pretty nice looking gear too.

Forum Regular
    Nad
    B&w

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    That Cary is nice, if a little austere.

VAC makes some pretty nice looking gear too.
    I'm a little partial to conventional size and shape, but with a touch of class. When I see something like the VAC, although it's stunning, I look around my cramped gear space and ask myself, "Where would I put that?" BTW, the Jaguar paint on the Cary is not Anthracite as I mistakenly said. That's their black color. It's Carnival Red.

Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend. Here on the Ala/Fla line, we'll be following Hurricane Frances. I hate they had to reschedule the Miami/FSU game. That would have been a great game to really jump-start the season.

Good luck down there Dean. Batten down the hatches and NO SURFING !

I was really looking forward to that game as well. My boys have a bye this weekend which will hopefully give them time to find a receiver that can actually catch the freakin' ball .

Have a great weekend and Fight On!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

You're joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BillB
    Nad
    B&w
    NAD? I've got toasters that are prettier than any NAD gear. While not necessarily ugly, they are the furthest from "attractive" as anything...except maybe Bryston.

I love MacIntosh stuff as far as looks go, c'mon, glass faceplates...awesome. Hmm...Arcam and Rotel have the nicest "silver" gear I've seen, though I'm not a big fan of silver.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to speakers. I actually like Axiom, Totem, Audio Note, and some B&W speakers. Nothing fancy, not much goofy plastic. Oh, Sapphire Audio's blue tweeters rule!!!

Ya know, I actually said the same thing about NAD but deleted it because hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? I mean, so what if NAD likes that putrid green/grey color. So what if all they buttons are the same. So what if...on second thought, maybe he should have his eyes checked (j/k Bill)

Did you know B&W used to have a bluish tweeter on their Signature speaks? Very, very cool looking when combined with the Tiger's Eye finish.

Turntable anorak!
    What's going on here? - 9 replies and I'm the first to mention Bang & Olufsen?!!
    Wonderful equipment, gorgeous styling, superb sound, excellent build quality, silly price tags - what more could you want?!!

Adam.
    Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Forum Regular
    My first thought was B&O as well.

B&O! Good One. I'll give you props on the aesthetics. Soundwise? Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Turntable anorak!
    I grant you that on the sound to price ratio B&O don't score too well, but evaluated in isolation I think they're pretty good. I'm hearing things in the midrange and treble I hadn't heard before on my CD's and vinyl since changing to a pair of Beolab 8000 speakers.
    Plus, if anyone needs proof they can make some awesome sounding stuff, pop down to your local dealer and have a listen to the new Beolab 5 speakers - you might just be impressed (although i admit these are a little more "controversial" in their looks!!)

Adam.
    Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Forum Regular
    I've always been fond of BAT amps. They are huge, and really cool looking.

For speakers.
    Martin Logan is hard to beat for pure visual candy.

Forum Regular
    NAD's Silver Series??

I just like simply clean things. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. motto. Beauty's in the eye and good sound's in the ear!

Bill

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'll always take sound over looks. There's nothing beautiful about a Bryston's or NAD's looks. Nothing wrong with K.I.S.S. Just don't call it pretty.
    There is some pretty f-ugly gear out there these days though.
    Anybody else have a feeling that these so called "modern", "minimalist", "feng-shui" designs are going to look as dated as shag carpet and acid washed jeans in a few years?

Good point KC,

Personally, I can't stand Burmester's stuff as it's just too over the top. From a "modern" standpoint, I do like Primare's equipment.

Thread Information