AR Newbie Registered Member

Need new AV receiver only got $400

Not sure if this is the right area but I need a new Surround receiver. I only have $400 to spend and that's it. My beloved Marantz took a jolt of lightning and I can not claim it on my insurance. Could anyone give me some options?

DIYaudiophilehack
    If you want the best bang for the buck, hit the classifieds. There are plenty of folks always upgrading and looking to move their old stuff.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I am mainly looking for what brands would be a good buy at that price range.

Forum Regular
    check out the yamaha HTR5760/V650. it lists for $499, but i heard a lot of people getting it for around $400 or less. I got a floor model/return for $325 after a big of negotiating. do a search for this yamaha on this site- a lot of great reviews (YPAO, too!). i got it about 2 months ago and love it!

Forum Regular
    I'm pretty pleased with my Onkyo SR502. You may be be able to get a 601 for $400.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Denon's 1705, 1804, and 1905 are very good, and you should be able to snarff one of these models for under $400...but the Yamaha RX-V650 or HTR-5760 is the best sub $400 receiver out there by far in my opinion...if you can live without phono inputs, and composite video up-conversion (just plug your DVD player straight to the TV).

Onkyo, H/K, and Marantz have good stuff too.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Denon's 1705, 1804, and 1905 are very good, and you should be able to snarff one of these models for under $400...but the Yamaha RX-V650 or HTR-5760 is the best sub $400 receiver out there by far in my opinion...if you can live without phono inputs, and composite video up-conversion (just plug your DVD player straight to the TV).

Onkyo, H/K, and Marantz have good stuff too.

Hey,
    I also have the same question (~400)

What do you mean by that limitation of Yamaha? Do other models you mentioned dont have that limitation?
    I looked for the other models you mentioned and I have found them under 400. But they are all B stock. What does it mean? Do you recomened them? They are from authorized Denon dealors with warranty.

thanks.

[QUOTE=InUtero]
    What do you mean by that limitation of Yamaha? Do other models you mentioned dont have that limitation?
    I looked for the other models you mentioned and I have found them under 400. But they are all B stock. What does it mean? Do you recomened them? They are from authorized Denon dealors with warranty.
    [QUOTE]

B-stock is either refurbished goods, or returned goods that customers brought back. They are usually brought back to "new" standards, and can be excellent buys.
    Not all the models will have the componenent video up-conversion features (which means you can plug, say, S-Video from your DVD player to the receiver, and then run component video from your receiver to your TV...this feature could be handy if you have lots of video inputs).

I really like the Denon's. I just think that HTR-5760 or RX-V650 are a bit better, mostly because of YPAO and the build quality.

You should really listen and play with both units at a store to compare them to each other. Pick which one you think sounds best and offers the most value.

Forum Regular
    ---Not all the models will have the componenent video up-conversion features (which means you can plug, say, S-Video from your DVD player to the receiver, and then run component video from your receiver to your TV...this feature could be handy if you have lots of video inputs).

thanks. What is this ^^ feature called?

"Component video up-conversion", I guess.
    The RX-V650/HTR-5760 will up-convert to S-Video only.

Check out Panasonic SA-XR50 digital

Quote Originally Posted by zipster223
    Not sure if this is the right area but I need a new Surround receiver. I only have $400 to spend and that's it. My beloved Marantz took a jolt of lightning and I can not claim it on my insurance. Could anyone give me some options?
    The Panasonic digitals might not be all that some make them out to be, but they are very good indeed.

Thread Information