Forum Regular

What gauge inductor for woofer in AR.DIY

Can someone please tell me what gauge inductor is recommended int he AR.DIY? I'm trying to choose between Madisounds 16ga or 14ga (0.5 Ohm and 0.3 Ohm) and wanted to know which one Ed had designed the xover for (or which one makes a sonic difference for the better)

I know the answer was posted some time ago on this forum but must have been archived off.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
    Dave.

The latest xover uses a .3 and .4 inductor. The .3 is a 20awg and the .4 is a 19awg inductor. I might mention that it's only $5 extra to have madisound build the latest xover than to buy the parts and build it yourself. If your inexperienced in building xovers I would have them build it. I priced the separate parts out and the difference was only $5 + shipping. It saved me a lot of time and headache. Just my two cents....

Forum Regular
    Thanks poneal,

I'm inexperienced at building xovers, so I will justy buy the kit from Madisuond - I was interested in what inductors they used on the woofer. Also, there's no price difference and as it will be my first pair of mains, I may as well go in easy to get it right. Maybe 10 speakers from now I might be designing from scratch.... ;-)

Thanks,.
    Dave.

What I'm doing is buying all the parts (xovers, drivers) from madisound and building the boxes myself. I'm not bad at wood working so its coming along pretty nicely. Building the boxes themselves saves a lot of money (i think about $175). The largest inductor on the woofer is 16awg but I forget the size. Have a good and let us know how it comes out. Paul.

Forum Regular
    Will do - pictures to be posted.

I on the other hand am not very good at woodworking. Just bought a cheap set of router bits for my cheap router :-). I cheat and get the local hardware store cut the MDF pieces so they are true / square (much easier) - as I don't have a table saw and even with a skillsaw and fence / guide - dead accurate cuts are difficult at best.

Will probably take about 2 - 3 weeks to get to New Zealand - then will take me about a month (evenings only) to plod alogn and build. I have some old Philips boxes I could use temporarily.... just to hear them sing!

Cheers,
    Dave.

Thread Information