definitive speakers

looking for speakers to match my music taste, my wifes visual tastes and my budget.

i can get a used pair of bp-8's for $375 or a new bp-6 for $550

dealer says the bp8's sound way better, wife likes the look of the smaller 6's and i like the price of the used ones...

i have a new sony es digital amp (which the dealer claims is nothing special) and some bose 801's

bose are driving me nuts.

i have about $600 to spend,

the used ones look to be in great condition and are on a nice audio website.

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jfish
    looking for speakers to match my music taste, my wifes visual tastes and my budget.

i can get a used pair of bp-8's for $375 or a new bp-6 for $550

dealer says the bp8's sound way better, wife likes the look of the smaller 6's and i like the price of the used ones...

i have a new sony es digital amp (which the dealer claims is nothing special) and some bose 801's

bose are driving me nuts.

i have about $600 to spend,

the used ones look to be in great condition and are on a nice audio website.

thoughts?
    Buy the ones that you can actually see and hear as well as the ones your wife likes. You will have a sub in conjunction with a surround set-up and will not miss the larger speakers if the room is not huge. You want to establish a relationship with a local dealer who can help you with honest advise and supply you with equipment to finish your system correctly and at reasonable prices. All of your speakers should match as close as possible in a surround system. The only reason that I am suggesting the surround issue is that you mentioned the Sony amp, which I am assuming is a newer 5 channel unit. If it is a stereo amp, then ignore the "finish the system" bit and concentrate on the best sounding speakers that you and your wife can both agree on, but buy them locally! If you really want better speakers, consider other brands as well.
    -Bill

www.uptownaudio.com
    Salem VA
    (540) 387-5050

Are these the BP-8B and BP-6B as listed on Def Tech's website? If so, the only size difference is that the 8 is 3" taller, the other dimensions are the same. Are those 3" enough to be a deal-breaker with your wife?

Also, I noticed that while the driver complement is the same, the midrange driver basket in the 8 (and the 10) is cast, while the 6 is stamped. Maybe that's why your dealer thinks the 8 sounds better.

How confident are you about the integrity of the seller of the used speakers?
    Last edited by ToddB; 08-24-2004 at 03:29 AM.
    "Reality supercedes science."
    -- badman, 9/3/02, AudioAsylum.com

use seller is part of audiologon, so its better than ebay, and has sent me picts of the speakers...

i'm leaning towards the smaller new, w/ a smaller sub. because i have heard them and they sound great to me, plus my living room is small and has a 13' ceiling...so it really isnt ideal...
    thanks

Thread Information