Thread: DIY bookshelf ?

Forum Regular

DIY bookshelf ?

going to try building a pair of bookshelf speakers this fall , can i get a full range driver to sound good , lets say a 6'' or maybe a 8'' driver , just was thinking it would be easier to build not haveing to mess with cross overs and things like that and cheaper , thank you

I wouldn't recommend trying to make an 8" woofer do the job of a tweeter. If you want it to sound good, a 2-way system with a good quality crossover system is a must.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    S dog: You are probably going to have to spend so much to get a quality 8" woofer capable of reproducing anything worthwhile above 10 kHz...I wouldn't waste your time. Especially if it's your first project.

I recommend the Parts Express BR-1 (www.partsexpress.com) or the audioreview.com DIY kits(click "Learn" on the list of links at the top of this page). Depending on your budget, there's a few others.
    The BR-1's are extremely straightforward and a solid kit to familiarize yourself with. The ar.com's aren't much harder, and sound much better, but will cost you double if you can't build your own cabinets.

I agree with all the above. You will spend a fortune trying to find a single driver capable of giving you full range. All the drivers I've looked at peak at about 10,000 so you will not hear much above that. Stick with a small two way monitor with a well designed crossover and you will be much happier. Two of which were mentioned above.

Tang Band makes a good 3" driver that can be used in a sealed box.This will work fine except bass will be limited to about 150 hz.These drivers cost anywhere from 10 to 20$ each..You can either build a passive or active sub..PE has a passive xover at 150hz that sells for 32$.Thay also have a 70watt plate amp for $49.I dont know what the xover on that amp is.Check the pe site every day and try to find a DOTD woofer..There are some plans for the TB 3" driver Ill try to find a post...

Those are some mighty large encolusure for such small drivers! Might as well go with a 6" and a seperate tweet if you're going to go that large.

Yeah I agree with everyone else. Most 8" start rolling off at 2 khz, and abut 4 khz for 6". Start out with a kit that partsexpress has to get you familiar with the process. The Dayton BR-1 is a cheap kit that offers great sound. (ask Jim C. a member here with them). They also have some more expensive ones if you want to try. Go on the partsexpress or madisound discussion boards. Some very knowledgible people there about building speakers.
    -Joey

Forum Regular
    thank you guys for all the help , i looked at partsexpress and they have some nice kits that dont cost alot of money, might just go that way

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Here's an excellent resource for you too.
    www.speakerbuilder.net

And check out the DIY forums here, too. Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Those are some mighty large encolusure for such small drivers! Might as well go with a 6" and a seperate tweet if you're going to go that large.
    I built one using a ported 300 cubic in 8 sided cabinet maybe 12.5 in long x 6in diameter Tuned to 90hz.Found some buyout 7in infinity vifa drivers for 7$ each for a seperate woofer mounted out of site .I used a 2nd order xover to the woofers and first,st to the TBs at 150hz.I got the TBs for about 11$ each.Not bad for my wifes kitchen.I agree the BR1 apears to be a great start...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Post your question here http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/bbs.html some folks seem to like their single driver speakers.

Forum Regular
    yeah the br-1 2-way monitor looks pretty good for a $150.00 bucks , hell i dont think i could buy the parts and oak wood for the cabinets for that same money , but then it will not be as much fun if i dont build the cabinets myself, i built a pair of floorstanders last winter and i ended up with more money in them than i could have got a pair at best buy, but had alot of fun building them ,so i guess that it worth something

How did they sound? My first 3-way DIY floorstanders were mediocre at best. I was able to tame the highs with a parallel resistor, but they just didn't sound as good as I was expecting. I'm sure it was because I used a stock crossover instead of one designed for the drivers I choose. The bass is awsome though. Good luck and enjoy.

Forum Regular

diy 3-way

Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    How did they sound? My first 3-way DIY floorstanders were mediocre at best. I was able to tame the highs with a parallel resistor, but they just didn't sound as good as I was expecting. I'm sure it was because I used a stock crossover instead of one designed for the drivers I choose. The bass is awsome though. Good luck and enjoy.
    they sounded just ok i used radio shack drivers that was not a good idea , for 10'' woofers the bass was not very good , went with soft doom tweeters they sounded pretty good 5'' mids they also sounded good ,so all in all they made good work shop speakers

Thread Information