Forum Regular

DPL IIx and 5.1 sources?

Purchased a Yamaha RX-V1400 a few weeks ago. It has DPL IIx....it's written on the box and on the receiver and I can get DPL IIx from 2 channel sources...i.e. TV.

Can you put this receiver in DPL IIx mode while playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 source? I've heard some say yes and others say no. If yes, how do you accomplish this? When I play a Dolby Digital 5.1 source and press the SAME button that gives DPL IIx all I get is Dolby Digital SUR Standard and Dolby Digital SUR Enhanced.

DPLIIx works strictly from two-channel input sources. 5.1 sources are just that, true discrete six-channel sources. The DPLIIx basically takes a two-channel source, does the standard DPL decoding, and then applies another layer of processing that steers the directional cues from the front channels into the four surround channels.

The DD decoder can only decode a 5.1 source as a discrete 5.1 source or downmix the 5.1 channels into a two-channel playback when you switch the DSP effects off. It won't downmix to two-channel and then send it back through the DPLIIx processor. On Yamaha receivers, the default playback for two-channel sources when you have the DSP switched on is DPLIIx, and with 5.1 sources it's the mode that you have indicated. If you REALLY want to play back a 5.1 source in DPLIIx, you need to set your DVD player to output the soundtrack through the two-channel analog outputs, and then your receiver will detect it as a two-channel source and default to the DPLIIx processing. But, with a 5.1 source, you have absolutely no reason to use DPLIIx because that's basically fake 5.1, and why go with a fake anything when you got the real deal?

Forum Regular
    If you have a 7.1 setup and a lot of DVD's are 5.1, then essentially you're "wasting" 2 extra speakers that are not doing anything. If you can turn the 5.1 into 7.1 then at least you're giving the extra speakers a work out.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    If you have a 7.1 setup and a lot of DVD's are 5.1, then essentially you're "wasting" 2 extra speakers that are not doing anything. If you can turn the 5.1 into 7.1 then at least you're giving the extra speakers a work out.
    Not sure what you're getting at here. Most receivers (including the RX-V1400 I own as well) have the ES/EX function in them now too that allows 5.1 signals to be output from 6 or 7 speakers.

In my long room, "7.1" is worth every penny. I tried 6.1 and it just didn't cut it. Adding 2 rear speakers really improved the surround environment and plugged up any "gaps" that existed. Haven't noticed any sources that didn't sound better with the fake 7.1 processing added.

Problem is, a heckuva lot of people have their couches against a wall in living rooms and don't have dedicated HT rooms like I'm fortunate enough to have. If given a choice between bedrooms for the kids and an HT room, the law says kids have to sleep in beds and not concrete floors. This negates any value added in 6th and 7th speakers for alot of people

Ace H, try activating the ES/EX function next time you're watching a 5.1 source. This will allow the 6th and 7th channels the "workout" you're looking for.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    See http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ix-3-2004.html

According to this, IIx has two modes:
    1. converts 2 speakers to 7.1
    2. converts 5.1 to 7.1

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you would configure your receiver to work correctly with it -- but according to that url, it *should* be possible...
    Last edited by douglasbjordan; 08-09-2004 at 12:09 PM.

Forum Regular
    DPLIIx absolutely works with a 5.1 soundtrack. It helps if you have the on screen display. With a 5.1 soundtrack playing press the EX/ES buton on your remote. First, the EX decoder will be activated, then using your remote you can cycle through the modes(navigation buttons: left and right) until you get the DPLIIx mode. This is how I watch all my DVDs with my RX-V1400.

Thread Information