Forum Regular

Questions on WPC ratings in buiding a whole house system.

Many in-wall volume knobs designed for whole house systems are limited to a maximum power rating of 100wpc. Here are some examples:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebocpqD...&cc=01&search=

Let's say I'm installing a six room system with six pairs of speakers using a single amplifier and a speaker distribution component. Does this 100wpc rating on the volume knobs mean that I should choose an amplifier of no greater than 100wpc? Because 100wpc is not a lot to drive six pairs of speakers. This limits output to 15 watts or so per speaker if all six rooms are switched on--less if an impedence control circuit is enabled to keep impedences from dropping below 8ohms or 4ohms. Does the volume knob "see" 100 wpc in this instance or does it "see" 15wpc or less? Ultimately, I'd like to choose a more powerful amplifier to avoid clipping while all six sets of speakers are on. Does this mean I have to choose volume knobs with higher wpc ratings?

A related question--and one that no doubt demonstrates the boundlessness of my ignorance--is this: Let's say the reciever or amplifier I use to power these speakers is turned on with volume pegged and a signal running to it, but all six volume knobs in all six rooms are turned off. Is the amplifier still pumping out 100wpc? Or does turning off the volume knobs have the same effect as stopping output from the amp? For example: if I hook up a receiver and turn the volume up all the way and then go to one room and turn the in-wall volume knob up ever so slightly, will the sound be distorted and clipped because the receiver is maxed out and clipping, or will the speakers just draw 1 watt or less (well within the receiver's range).

So, question #1 is what do the volume knobs "see?" And question #2 is what does the receiver "see?"

I've thought a lot about single A/V systems, but this multi-room stuff is new to me. Any input will be useful even if it's just pointing out the misconceptions behind these obtuse questions.

Thanks!
    Adam

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dmb_fan
    Many in-wall volume knobs designed for whole house systems are limited to a maximum power rating of 100wpc. Here are some examples:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebocpqD...&cc=01&search=

Let's say I'm installing a six room system with six pairs of speakers using a single amplifier and a speaker distribution component. Does this 100wpc rating on the volume knobs mean that I should choose an amplifier of no greater than 100wpc? Because 100wpc is not a lot to drive six pairs of speakers. This limits output to 15 watts or so per speaker if all six rooms are switched on--less if an impedence control circuit is enabled to keep impedences from dropping below 8ohms or 4ohms. Does the volume knob "see" 100 wpc in this instance or does it "see" 15wpc or less? Ultimately, I'd like to choose a more powerful amplifier to avoid clipping while all six sets of speakers are on. Does this mean I have to choose volume knobs with higher wpc ratings?

A related question--and one that no doubt demonstrates the boundlessness of my ignorance--is this: Let's say the reciever or amplifier I use to power these speakers is turned on with volume pegged and a signal running to it, but all six volume knobs in all six rooms are turned off. Is the amplifier still pumping out 100wpc? Or does turning off the volume knobs have the same effect as stopping output from the amp? For example: if I hook up a receiver and turn the volume up all the way and then go to one room and turn the in-wall volume knob up ever so slightly, will the sound be distorted and clipped because the receiver is maxed out and clipping, or will the speakers just draw 1 watt or less (well within the receiver's range).

So, question #1 is what do the volume knobs "see?" And question #2 is what does the receiver "see?"

I've thought a lot about single A/V systems, but this multi-room stuff is new to me. Any input will be useful even if it's just pointing out the misconceptions behind these obtuse questions.

Thanks!
    Adam
    You have one of these controls in each room, right, for a set of speakers?
    You won't need 100watts for that room, most likely, unless you are playing very loud and low frequencies.

You should be fine.
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information