AR Newbie Registered Member

Bic America / Acoustech / Costco ???

I Am Trying To Build A Very Good Budget Speaker System For 90% Home Theater. I Really Like The Looks Of A Brand Called Acoustech (they Look Like Klipsch Reference Knock Off's Only Better). Does Any One Have Any Experience With These?? I Am Also Considering The Bic America Dv64 Towers, Dv62si Surrounds And Dual Dv62clr-s For Front And Rear Center Speakers. If You Have Other Recommendations I Would Love To Hear Suggestions. I Have Also Read Great Things About Ascend Acoustics And Hsu Subs But These Would Require Significantly More Money. The Acoustech's Are Available For $700.00 For The 5.1 Set Up With Subwoofer At Costco And The Bic Setup With Bic 12" Subwoofer Would Run Around $950.00. I Definitely Need To Stay Under $1,000.00 For The Complete Set Up. Thanx For Any Help Or Suggestions.

There was a Giant thread on these speakers. Just do a search, quite a few memebers have the acoustech speakers.

Forum Regular
    I will start this out by saying that I like Definitive Technology products, and though I have auditioned a lot of other brands before I bought my speakers, I never really found anything that I like as much as them. That being said, since you seem to have an interest in HSU and SVS products, I tried to add one of them in the speaker system that I recommend.

Hsu has a couple of subwoofers in the $300-$400 price range that seem to be capable performers. The STF-2 would probably be the one I would choose. It has a 10 in woofer and a mfr. rating of 25hz and 200watts. They also make an 8 inch (STF-1) for $100 less that still goes pretty deep. If you are using it in a smaller room I would think either sub would be more than enough. For the other speakers I would recommend satellites. DefTech's Promonitor 100s are $179 a piece (I got mine for $142/ea), the ProCenter100 is $199 (I got mine for around $160) and the Promonitor 80s are $112.50 a piece ( you should be able to pick them up for around $85/ea). If you like sticking with one brand, I was pleased with the performance of the ProSub 100TL, which retails for $449 (i got it for a little over $400). Before tax the HSU + DefTech system will run between ~$910 - ~$1010. An all DefTech system will be about $1000.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy whatever you end up purchasing.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Thread Information