Forum Regular

Two questions: What do you think of Onkyo HTS760 and which speaker wire...

Hey all, first post here. I'm currently considering buying my first real audio setup and I'm looking at home theatre in a box systems. From doing some research, I think the Onkyo HST760 (6.1 surround) is exactly what I'm looking for. Do any of you have any experience with this model? If so, what are your thoughts?

The second part is if I do go ahead and purchase that, I would like some decent speaker wire to connect everything, as I hear that choice of speaker wire is extremely important. What are your suggestions? I would like to stick with wire that is around $1/foot, I can't really afford much more.

Feel free to add any additional comments about getting a new home theater system, thanks

Forum Regular

my thoughts...

For a Home Theatre in a Box, it looks like a pretty good one. I should note however that I am not a big fan of the HTIB concept in general...you can generally do better by getting the receiver and speakers separately. That being said, the speakers and receiver in this particular unit look better than most HTIB components (although I haven't heard the system).

As for speaker wire, I would suggest going down to your local Home Depot and picking up a roll of 16 guage speaker wire and using it. In short, the people who tell you that the quality of the speaker wire makes a "huge difference" are pulling your leg. Sure, lamp-cord wire doesn't cut it but some decent 16 guage wire should be fine for your system.

FYI -- most stores will throw the speaker wire in with the package if you ask.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the input....anyone else?

I used to have this sytem, it sounds suprisingly good, a good impacting home theater experience with a 150w sub. Not bad at music either, they love it over at CNET reviews, for the money. The speakers in that system really open up and start sounding much more expensive after a few weeks of breaking in. In fact I went and bought a $200 set of JBL n26 just to compare and onkyos were better! Yes you can go to even walmart and buy home or auto 16 aug. speak wire. I have a large set of bostons now run by a nad integrated stereo amp, but I am still using 16, that is more than enough, I used 16 fronts and 18 rears with good results.

for the onkyo system check here:

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog.cfm?id=3

scroll down and click on special next to the 760, click register, click join now, finish registration and go back to the 760 now you can get the onkyo direct club price...$449 shipped w/ free DVSP301 DVD PLAYER, and $50 for a 2yr .ext warranty (factory refurbished).

you will enjoy this set... i'd say its a steal for someone wanting a surround experience

Thread Information