Forum Regular

TV looks worse with progressive scan

I have a new panasonic 53" HDTV rear projection tv. I just hooked it up to a Go Video progressive scan DVD player. If I set the dvd to interlace the picture looks great, if I set the dvd to progressive it looks shaky on the menu screens and the movie does not appear as sharp. Is it the DVD player or TV? Any help would be great. Thanks

Forum Regular
    Hi,
    I also have a new panasonic 53 in. (tau) HDTV, my old dvd wasnt progressive scan so I replaced it with a panasonic progressive dvd player at the same time that I got the tv. I dont get any strange shakey stuff happening and I have dvd set to progressive scan,i know this doesnt help you but thought I'd say my works good, is trying another dvd machine an option?
    Good Luck
    Dale M

Forum Regular
    I am going to try a panasonic dvd player, do you mind telling me what modle you are using. One other thing with the tv, the picture is great, but on a solid black screen, like when the tivo is switching channels I see asomewhat lighter black bar sort of in the center. It is like a light on in the back of the tv, but on a defined pattern. nothing major, picture is fine, but I didn't know if this represented a problem and if I should have them come dervice it.

Forum Regular
    I don't want to assume anything, so I have to ask. You are using a component video cable with the progressive output? The reason I ask is, to me the difference is signifgantly better with progressive scan over S-video, especially on the larger screens. A good test would be to view the credits at the end of a movie. With interlaced you will see definite artifacts as the credits move bottom to top. Progressive is much smoother and you also don't see as many artifacts on detailed clothing patterns such as plaids or thin stripes. The picture should be more film-like.

F1
    Yes, progressive scan only works with component video connection. Hopefully it's the only problem, not the equipment problem....

Forum Regular
    yes I am using a compnent connection. I think it may be the cheap DVD player, I won't know until I try another.

Forum Regular
    Hi, Im using a Panasonic DVD S35, its a pretty cheap machine too but seems to work good, and I am using component video cables, (the red,blue,green ones) not the cable that came with the dvd machine. I havent noticed any strange bar going across the screen when its black,, did you set the convergence and all the adjusts since you last moved the TV,?
    Dale M

Forum Regular
    Did you set your TV to progressive? Not all TV will auto switch to progressive mode.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sy_lu
    Did you set your TV to progressive? Not all TV will auto switch to progressive mode.

I do not see a setting on the tv itself for progressive scam. I had the warranty people come out and check it out. the bar is just digital artifact apparently and the shakiness is supposed to be the dvd player.

Thread Information