Forum Regular

beginner HT pre/pro selection

Wondering if there are any suggestions out there for a pre/pro amp for hometheater. Of course I will be listening to music too, but needs to have hometheater capabilities. I've been eyeballing the rotel rsp 1068. Any other good choices in the $1000 - $2000 price range? I'll be powering it with a proceed HPA 2 for the main speakers. The center and rears I'll still need to find an amp for, but I can pick up a used 3 channel B&K amp for about $300.00 for the time being.

Forum Regular

Just an idea

Sounds like you have amps figured out. Or budgeted out anyway. Some very strange things seem to happen sometimes between amps and pre-apms when they are not matched well. Great sound can become so so at best. Also in a budgeted TV system the TV sound features, THX Dolby's etc, can be just as important as anything is many times. Rotel has always made good stuff, and I understand it is getting better as time goes by. For the cash I am growing to love the Krell stuff myself. Tried out a few and am going to purchase some very soon. But that may be too much for for ya to swing.
    Whatever choice you make, listen to the combo together at home first if you can. Many places will give you a grace period to return things if they don't work out with your system. Just don't scratch em up while trying em out is all. LOL
    Also check out the other forums, there some very sharp people floating around in here. the guy with the little robot symbol and the cats & music note at the end of his messages seems to be particularly well balanced in his views I think.
    Just make sure you are comfortable enough to listen to the system you get for hours at a time. No strain. If not you will find it unbearable sooner or later no matter how well it spec's out or looks. It is always about the overall sound first.
    Best I can do for ya
    Take care

Forum Regular

oops forgot something

Forgot to add this tidbit.
    I was told NAD has some reasonable priced stuff out now that integrates well with Rotell. I personally baught an NAD reciever and two AR speakers with stands in 1981 and I am still listening to them in my bedroom tv/stereo system. Sounds pretty good also, 20+ years and many parties later. Hard to beat NAD for durability or sound quality for the money in my opinion.
    Take care

Thread Information