Forum Regular

TANNNOY M SERIES, is it good?

any idea how the tannoy m series is for a home theater, the complete set with front, center and saround..thanks

They are great if you like their sound.

Good name, been around forever, good looking, fairly priced.

What's not to like about them?

Oh, I like chocolate chip mint ice cream. Does thst mean you should like it too?

Forum Regular
    thanks..i like the sound too but not the soround any clue which would be a good soround 2 match with it

Forum Regular

Unfortunately busy

I have a question about the Tannoy mX series actually. I am working about 70 hours a week at the warehouse now and as such I just don't have the time to go and properly audition all the speakers I would like to listen to... So if perchance there is anyone with similiar music tastes, (jazz, rock and a bit of classical) would you be able to help guide me on which bookshelf speakers, around $350US, would be suitable for a bedroom setting or my tiny living room? I would like a speaker that is aesthetically pleasing, but it is not a main concern. Also it would be a plus if they had matching towers I could someday purchase when I move into a house and have room for home theatre. I've listened to Tannoy mX1's and was impressed, if thats any inclination as to my musical tastes, but would like to know if along those lines, there is something else you recommend I must hear. I greatly appreciate your help

The new Tannoy Fusion series should be at your Tannoy dealer now. The Fusion 2 is $330/pair and is a great sounding system in a small package. They have outstanding bass for their size, whereas the Fusion 1 (replaces the mX1) is more limited in its low frequency output.

Quote Originally Posted by Aric M L
    I have a question about the Tannoy mX series actually. I am working about 70 hours a week at the warehouse now and as such I just don't have the time to go and properly audition all the speakers I would like to listen to... So if perchance there is anyone with similiar music tastes, (jazz, rock and a bit of classical) would you be able to help guide me on which bookshelf speakers, around $350US, would be suitable for a bedroom setting or my tiny living room? I would like a speaker that is aesthetically pleasing, but it is not a main concern. Also it would be a plus if they had matching towers I could someday purchase when I move into a house and have room for home theatre. I've listened to Tannoy mX1's and was impressed, if thats any inclination as to my musical tastes, but would like to know if along those lines, there is something else you recommend I must hear. I greatly appreciate your help
    -Bill

www.uptownaudio.com
    Salem VA
    (540) 387-5050

Quote Originally Posted by rb902
    any idea how the tannoy m series is for a home theater, the complete set with front, center and saround..thanks
    The Tannoy m (Mercury) series was superceded by the mX and most recently by the Fusion series. They are all based around the original Mercury series and there have been some refinements along the way resulting in the current Fusion product. The cabinet construction is better and the drivers offer an even more transparent sonic window, allowing you to hear father into the recordings.
    -Bill

www.uptownaudio.com
    Salem VA
    (540) 387-5050

Forum Regular

Thank You

Thank you very much for your advice Bill. I had not even heard the news of the Fusion series yet and was still under the belief the mX's were Tannoys latest and greatest. Are there any other brands and/or models you would also suggest I try and find time to listen to? Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Aric M L
    Thank you very much for your advice Bill. I had not even heard the news of the Fusion series yet and was still under the belief the mX's were Tannoys latest and greatest. Are there any other brands and/or models you would also suggest I try and find time to listen to? Thank you for your help
    We carry speakers by JM Lab, Rega, ReVox, Tannoy and others. These four are the main lines which have a lot of products to offer with the JM Lab and Tannoy being the largest companies and having some entry level products. The Tannoy Fusion series is their most affordable line and the JM Lab Chorus series is theirs. Both lines have really fine products, with the JM Lab being slightly more expensive. If you can listen to these two, you can be assured that whatever choice you make, you will have selected product that represents the best top ten percent of what is available anywhere. Their models start at $228/pr and $350/pr respectively for nice bookshelf units. Take a look at our website and you can see some of their more staggering offerings. We have on display here the entry level products as well as some of the very best at nearly $12k/pr.
    -Bill

www.uptownaudio.com
    Salem VA
    (540) 387-5050

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Please no advertising

Bill,
    Thanks so much for your assistance and advice, it is VERY welcome here. We however do not allow any advertisments to audio businesses in our post, links, monikers, or signatures unless approved by the site administrator. Links that direct user to information, or to stores they are unaffiliated with are okay.

Again, thanks for your assistance and participation.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs