AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking for Crisp Clear Mains for under $1000??

I am looking to buy some clear sounding speakers for under 1G. Great midrange, highs and sound reproduction is a must. Bass will be supplied with a sub so that not too important. I love the sound of the planar Martin Logans at the local shop, but know that they are extremelly hard to manipulate as far as positioning is concerned. Any ideas on and good full-size regular box speakers?? Have a nakamichi av-10 powering now, but am upgrading to Rotel in the near future.

Thanks,
    Gimisound

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Whenever someone asks about speakers, I like to say "Totem Acoustic"

Forum Regular
    Something from Magnepan would be worthy of consideration. Could look for used MLs as well.

IMO dynaudio audience 52 is the best performer at this price & it is better than or close to some $1500-2000 speakers I have heard. A rotel amp or quality receiver (4ohm safe) will run them nicely.

Personally, I can't find a better speaker than the Paradigm Reference Studio 40 in that price range. I've been looking for 5 years now

RGA
    Forum Regular
    If you can get the Dynaudio Audiance 52 for $1K then I would agree with that poster - You may also be able to get the B&W CDM 1NT if any stores have any left now that the line has been dicontinued. If you can find Audio Note in your area give a listen to the AN K/Spe. The speaker retails for $2300.00US - but my dealer in Victoria has all of the remaining last years' stock for $1500.00Cdn ~$1150.00US. You should always listen before you buy but if you hear them somewhere then you can order them from www.soundhounds.com - The speaker offer up a more dynamic and deeper bass response than the others mentioned in this thread and is also tube amp friendly - can be put in corners or relatively close to the rear wall. They also sound more coherent driver to driver than the others - with the Dane's next best IMO - the CDM 1 and the Studio 40 are less effective in this regard IMO. I was lucky enough to hear the B&W paradigm directly agaisnt the Audio Notes among others. I heard Dynaudio at another place though I was impressed. You might also want to look for the Gershman Acoustics X1 - but it is a mellower sound some might not like.

Also check out the new Quads 12L, the Von Sweikert VR1, Spendor line - I have not heard these because they're not in my area - but they seem to get some good praise.

The Collector
    find yourself a pair of JBL 4430's and biamp them you won't ever complain about that purchase. they are an amazing speaker. some find them not too astetically pleasing but thats only a minor draw back. just check them out online and then find a place that has them to listen to. there is some info at www.audioasylum.com

Forum Regular
    "Great midrange, highs and sound reproduction is a must."

Being relatively new to A/V, I haven't listened to as many speakers as alot of the folks on this forum, but of the ones I've heard, the Paradigm Reference Studio 40's, which, with a 15% discount, you should be able to get for around $1000, truly fit the bill. But I must say that you would be doing yourself a favor by listening to their smaller brothers, the Studio 20's. While they don't have the depth of the 40's (not critical with a sub), to my ears, the highs were clearer and they imaged noticably better. By going with the 20's, you'd still have the sound you're looking for and would save a few hundred dollars.

Thread Information