Forum Regular

Speaker Wire Question(s)...

Yes, I'm a relative newbie and pretty darn stupid when it comes to some of this stuff. I have Yamaha NS-100XT (or something like that) floor-standing speakers with a matching Yamaha center channel. I have a decent (cost about $250) Sony Receiver (5.1). I'm presently using Acoustic Research Performance Series 18 gauge speaker wire terminated with banana plugs. Should I purchase heavier gauge wire? Will it make a difference? I'm planning to upgrade my receiver and speakers in the next few months (probably will buy the Yamaha 5760 and Axiom Millennia M40ti loudpeakers with matching center but I'm still shopping) - should I wait until then to purchase better wire?

Also, how in the hell does one tell which strand is positive and with strand is negative. These wires aren't color-coded (most I see aren't) and I can't tell the difference. I tried to make sure I matched red to red and black to black - am I missing something?

Thanks again! This forum has been a lifesaver for me! I appreciate all of the advice!

w

Forum Regular
    Yes, I'm a relative newbie and pretty darn stupid when it comes to some of this stuff. I have Yamaha NS-100XT (or something like that) floor-standing speakers with a matching Yamaha center channel. I have a decent (cost about $250) Sony Receiver (5.1). I'm presently using Acoustic Research Performance Series 18 gauge speaker wire terminated with banana plugs. Should I purchase heavier gauge wire?

How long are each run to the speakers?

Will it make a difference?

Most likely not.

I'm planning to upgrade my receiver and speakers in the next few months (probably will buy the Yamaha 5760 and Axiom Millennia M40ti loudpeakers with matching center but I'm still shopping) - should I wait until then to purchase better wire?

Depends on the length of run. Most likely not important.

Also, how in the hell does one tell which strand is positive and with strand is negative.

Usually there is a marking on one leg of the cable. Maybe it has the writing on only one leg, or it has a small rib running the length of the wire. It doesn't matter which side you use for + or - as long as you are consistent from that point on with all the speakers.
    mtrycrafts

Generally, I prefer 12 to 16 gauge wires with banana plugs but unless you have long runs, I doubt you would notice any difference between what you have and thicker wires.

Even if you choose to go with heavier wire, I wouldn't worry too much about the botique brands. Keep it simple and cheap.

The point of diminishing returns is mucjh lower than the marketing departments of the botique brands would have you believe. Heck, I'm waiting for Tommy Hilfiger to contract with whomever makes Home Depot's 12 gauge speaker cable to have 'em make it red, white and blue and sell it for an astronomical price.

Check out Parts Express and even home depot for yeoman 12 gauge. You cna buy banana plugs from RatShack (and parts express) and put 'em on yourself. It ain't rocket science.

Now, I'm concerned about what you say about not having polarities marked. Virtually every speaker cable (and even yer basic zip cord used for AC lines) has some kind of marking. Sometimes one run is silver, the other copper. They may only have a silver strand amongst the copper if you look carefully. One insulator may have ridges on one side and be smooth on another.

If they really don't (and I would expect AR would, though), I would suggest that. while they are disconnected, you take both ends of the cables and apply an ohmmeter or continuity checker to them. When you get an indication on one of the two wires, put some electrical tape around the plugs both ends. Repeat this for the other wire and you now have a pair of marked cables. Use the taped side as the positive all the way around and you're in like flynn.

Forum Regular
    AR speaker wire is pretty good stuff for it's price, so you're not bad off. Some people will try to sell you super lower gauge monster blah blah blah wire for lots of $$, to me I've never been able to justify the extra money. You can get basic oxygen-free quality copper 12ga wire at any home depot and it'll do the job. It's probably just as good or better than the 18awg AR wire you have now.

Hope that helps.

When the wire doesn't have any marking on it, I just connect it to the speaker. With the other end I get a 9 volt battery and connect the two wires to the + and - . If the speakers woofer moves toward you, you know which wires to connect to your + and - posts on your receiever because that means they're in phase. If they go in towards the cabinet, switch them and the connect to your receiever.

-Joey

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    Yes, I'm a relative newbie and pretty darn stupid when it comes to some of this stuff. I have Yamaha NS-100XT (or something like that) floor-standing speakers with a matching Yamaha center channel. I have a decent (cost about $250) Sony Receiver (5.1). I'm presently using Acoustic Research Performance Series 18 gauge speaker wire terminated with banana plugs. Should I purchase heavier gauge wire? Will it make a difference? I'm planning to upgrade my receiver and speakers in the next few months (probably will buy the Yamaha 5760 and Axiom Millennia M40ti loudpeakers with matching center but I'm still shopping) - should I wait until then to purchase better wire?

Also, how in the hell does one tell which strand is positive and with strand is negative. These wires aren't color-coded (most I see aren't) and I can't tell the difference. I tried to make sure I matched red to red and black to black - am I missing something?

Thanks again! This forum has been a lifesaver for me! I appreciate all of the advice!

w
    The speaker wire I've seen has writing on the insulation of one cable strand, and if it has it you can use that.

Here is a link to Roger Russel, retired from McIntosh, on speaker wire, and it contains a useful table for length, gauge and speaker impedance. If you are worried, you can always stay well within the limits suggested, and use a larger wire doesn't hurt anything as long as it fits the terminals for your amplifier and speakers.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

For those who don't think he knows what he is doing, well . . .

http://www.roger-russell.com/
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information