AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking To Order New Towers And Sub

well i've been thinking about maybe infinity alpha 50 towers and the alpha 1200 sub. is this stuff any good? anyone know like how much better the svs pc plus 20-39 is than the alpha 1200?
    i'm kinda stuck in iraq right now and was hoping to order speakers so i can have them for like my welcome back party (which will HOPEFULLY be soon) so i can't really go to the local stores and listen to speakers... which sucks i know
    anyother suggestions? i saw the infinity's at crutchfield for like $1100 for the towers and the sub. think thats good?
    i have been saving money over here but don't want to spend too much on everything (like no more than $1500)
    anyway thanks

You can do far better for less money. Pity you can't go out and listen to some Paradigm, PSB, Totem, or B&W speakers.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    also i have a pioneer receiver like a vsx something..i don't remember, haven't seen it in almost a year and a half.
    but you think the 500 watt alpha 1200 puts out a lot of base?

Forum Regular
    you should probably try to not buy right away you should go and listen to a ton of stuff when you get back. i have a friend who did the same thing when he got back from Iraq he went out and bought the widescreen and home theater. i think you will be happier with all the stuff if you listen and shop around but that's just me. and happy 4th of July!!!!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by messmerizer
    also i have a pioneer receiver like a vsx something..i don't remember, haven't seen it in almost a year and a half.
    but you think the 500 watt alpha 1200 puts out a lot of base?

I don't think it's a bad choice. But there's a lot of other stuff out there in that price range.
    If you can get a chance to look online I would suggest going to Cambridge Soundworks, and checking out their stuff.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com

I use Cambridge Soundworks speakers in my Home Theater setup and am very happy.

I think they are running a big sale now.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    The older PSB Image line can be had pretty resonable right now as PSB has introduced a newer style of this line. I went this route and am extremely happy with the sound of these speakers. I have found that for music, they are hard to beat in this pricerange. Could be alittle clearer for HT, but then you are bordering on "bright".

Forum Regular
    Can't say I have listened to the Infinities but I do own nOrh 5.1s that use Vifa tweeters and woofers. From those I stepped up to Rocket RS550s. Those have been wonderful for music and HT for me. The MKII series is supposed to be better for music. You may wish to talk to the owner of the company and ask for his thoughts and impressions of what you may like.

If you are looking for a more musical sub, the Rocket UFW-10 could be up your alley. If HT is your priority, the SVS would be the way to go.

Thread Information