AR Newbie Registered Member

Help for a Newbie-Sinclair speakers

Hi guys!

I'm currently looking to get a new stereo system with a limited budget. so, extremely high-end is out.

I came across a pair of Sinclair bookshelf speakers for a decent price. The sales guy at my local audio equipment store played them for me. They sounded pretty good, but I wanted to ask some of you seasoned audiophiles if you knew anything about the Sinclair brand and if you recommend them.

Thanks for your help!

-Lisa

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaM
    Hi guys!

I'm currently looking to get a new stereo system with a limited budget. so, extremely high-end is out.

I came across a pair of Sinclair bookshelf speakers for a decent price. The sales guy at my local audio equipment store played them for me. They sounded pretty good, but I wanted to ask some of you seasoned audiophiles if you knew anything about the Sinclair brand and if you recommend them.

Thanks for your help!

-Lisa
    Interesting a new one to me - never heard of these. Which does not mean good or bad. But before you buy what kind of budget are you in?

What amplifier are you using to power the speakers. There are good system in almost every budget.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Interesting a new one to me - never heard of these. Which does not mean good or bad. But before you buy what kind of budget are you in?

What amplifier are you using to power the speakers. There are good system in almost every budget.

The guy showed me a Yamaha receiver, but I don't remember the model right now. I don't really need anything too fancy, since I just have a small apartment. I'd like to stay well under the $1000 range, preferably closer to $500.

The guy actually told me that they don't make CD players anymore-it's all DVD since it can play both mediums. He said as long as I have a DVD player (I do), all I need are some decent speakers and an amplifier.

Like I said, I don't care about bells and whistles. I just want to be able to enjoy my music, not impress anyone. Since I mostly listen to metal, I'm looking for something that can handle the heavy sounds well.

As for Sinclair, I'd never heard of them either, but they apparently originated in the UK and have only been here (Canada) for about 3 years. I did find a couple websites dedicated to Sinclair equipment, though, which I know can mean nothing.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Run, don't walk!

The guy showed me a Yamaha receiver, but I don't remember the model right now. I don't really need anything too fancy, since I just have a small apartment. I'd like to stay well under the $1000 range, preferably closer to $500.

The guy actually told me that they don't make CD players anymore-it's all DVD since it can play both mediums. He said as long as I have a DVD player (I do), all I need are some decent speakers and an amplifier.

Like I said, I don't care about bells and whistles. I just want to be able to enjoy my music, not impress anyone. Since I mostly listen to metal, I'm looking for something that can handle the heavy sounds well.

As for Sinclair, I'd never heard of them either, but they apparently originated in the UK and have only been here (Canada) for about 3 years. I did find a couple websites dedicated to Sinclair equipment, though, which I know can mean nothing.
    Away from any salesman that tells you they don't make CD players anymore. That being said, there's NOTHING wrong with getting a dual purpose, or multi-player as long as you know what your getting.

I've never heard Sinclair speakers, but if the speaker sounds good to you, after listening to several other brands, then it might be something you want. Best advise I can give is to NOT buy the speakers the first time you hear them. Even better, go to another store (perferable one with a more knowlageable salesman) and listen to a totally different setup. If you listen to metal then your going to want a setup that can play loud and not overload your receiver. The Sinclairs might sound good, but if they are inefficient you might find your receiver overloading, or worse overheating. Ask the salesman the efficiancy rating for the speakers, let's see if he knows that at least.

Arm yourself with a little knowlage and you'll make a good decision. Good luck!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

RGA
    Forum Regular

$500.00US for an amp and speakers is certainly attainable. What I would suggest though is to try and find a more upscale dealership in your area - ones that have dedicated sound rooms - chairs or a couch to listen to systems on - And people who know at least a lot about the products they sell. Such places have less expensive gear as well which more than likely will be miles better than anything Best Buy and Joe's Stereo palace are selling.

The BEST thing about these places though is that the accept trade ins and then sell used gear. Amplifiers for instance are excellent to buy used because there are few moving parts if any and you'll get 30+ years out of well built units. And of course you can try any of this stuff out to make sure it's working. Audiophiles treat their stuff well generally - like cars Depreciation is ridiculously high on audio gear. The problem with recommending used is that you would need to be familiar with what you're getting to know if it's a good deal or not - or even a good product to start with.

Metal is your thing - but you live in an apartment? Well this is going to be hard - My knee Jerk reaction is to recommend something along the lines of Klipsch. Women generally hear higher frequencies better than males so it really depends on whether you're going to like the treble on the Klipsh some find them a bit too much. But on music like Metal - or what you typically hear at a CLUB - the Klipsh's do a ggod job at higher impact cymbals. The speakers are also easy to drive which means you can spend less by buying a lower powered receiver or integrated amplifier.

Frankly though If I had your max budget I would probably looks to buy the B&W DM 602S3 and NAD 320Bee integrated amplifier. Then I would go to your local pawn shop and buy an old $15-$20 tuner for your radio needs.

By no means am I saying this is the only thing you should listen to but try something like the B&W 602S3's - They are widely available as the 3rd largest speaker maker and the largest upper scale loudspeaker maker. The 602S3 goes for around $550.00US. They Usually have them hooked up to the NAD or a Rotel or Arcam or Cambridge Audio amp - All of these companies are also British. All of these amps are quite good. Cambridge and NAD can be had under $500.00 easiliy. Add a bit of money for good stands - stands are important. $120.00US should be more than enough. But think of a stand as part of the speaker's cabinetry - you don't want one that reverberates causing distortion.

The B&W's are a more balanced speaker - they will play loud and they have plenty of bass - a LOT actually for the money and size. But they are also happy with Jazz and competant with classical - where many others have trouble. An Alternate to B&W is Wharfedale - they are cheaper but harder to find.

Plus I think the B&W's look nice to boot - one of the few who make good sounding speakers that also look good. Most only are able to one or the other. http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...l%20DM602%20S3

Amps:
    Cambridge Audio is fairly widespread - most sittes have a dealer locator to find gear in your area. The 540A is a good solid unit for reasonable money ~$400-$450.00 http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/540a_amp.html

NAD: the 320Bee is very good for the money and a rock http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...EE_framset.htm

Rotel: Cost a bit more - I am not a huge fan but people love them http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/ra01.htm

And if you can find a used Sugden - You'd be lucky - Sugden's don't have remotes though.

These prices will be very negotiable if your dealer carries both the speaker and the amp and the stands you want. Talk them down a good 10-20%

I personally would not buy a receiver - I'm picky though. But I figure since you took the time to post you may want to get a bit more upscale for the same dollar.

If you can listen to the NAD or Cambridge Audio with the B&Ws this will be an excellent entry point to compare others against in the sub $1k price range. You may find better of course - but if it can beat this you're doing well.

Forum Regular
    Hi Lisa,

You're actually fortunate to live in Canada because this gives you a lot of good choices for affordable, easy to drive speakers for your apartment. I've never heard the Sinclair brand but there are several speakers in your price range which would work well. I think the PSB Image 2B speakers are very good (about 400US). Also Paradigm Titan and Athena Technology AS-B2 (both 225-260 US). In receivers the Yamaha's are good and give you several choices. In stereo the RX-396,496 or 596 would all fit your budget and their introductory home theater receivers probably would too. I believe Denon should be available to you as well. They have two introductory stereo receivers which would work well for you, the DRA-295 or 395 (250 and 350 US respectively). Personally I'd like an RX-596 or DRA-395 paired with the Image 2B's. This would be at the upper part of your financial range. For a bargain price how about the DRA-295 and the AS-B2? Very affordable and sound good too. As for your CD's, try your DVD player. If it's satisfactory then stick with it. If you want a separate CD player, both Yamaha and Denon make affordable (150-200 US) players which you could run with your receiver's remote. You've had some good advice already about listening to different speakers before making a decision. Take some of your own music with you when you go to the store and ask the salesperson if they will play it for you. You'll get a better idea of how you like the sound by listening to your own stuff. If possible ask them to use the receiver(s) you're considering to play the speakers. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone who has offered me advice. The dealer I went to does have dedicated listening rooms but the guy didn't seem to really know what to offer and at the time I didn't have an exact price range.

Unfortunately, the only really upper-scale audio store is closed for the next two weeks, but I was going to hold off until I visit there anyway

RGA: My boyfriend actually has a NAD stereo and B&W speakers, so I am familiar with their sound. I just kinda thought they were much more expensive, since he bought his about 15 years ago. The only store that I know that carries them, though, is the one I already mentioned is closed for a while. And please, let us never compare metal to "what you typically hear at a CLUB" again

Again, thanks everyone!

-Lisa

Thread Information