AR Newbie Registered Member

Acoustic Energy AE209 Capacitor Upgrades?

Hi All,

I'm new on here & looking for some advice. I have some Acoustic Energy AE209s, old, but in great condition and suitable for my current needs. I was reading the reviews of the 209s on here and saw the following:

Smooothzzs - "replace the stock croosover ceramic resistors to wirewound Mills and MKT caps to ICW capacitors(PX and SA range)"
    and
    BanBan - "To get real airy highs and clear emotive vocals, replace the stock crossover caps to ICW (PX and SA) caps and resistors to 1% wirewound 12W Mills"

Does anyone know where I could get this done? I'm in the UK near Sheffield & would drive up to a couple of hours in any direction to get it done.

I'm generally happy with the speakers, but there's always the urge to tweak! I'm at least 18 months away from a major upgrade I reckon, but there's plenty of life left in the 209s & hopefully a bit more potential.

Cheers.
    Avid Ingenium, Ortofon 2M Blue, Rega MM Phono stage, Arcam A85, Acoustic Energy AE209

I've done some research & humblehomemadehifi.com seem to be top crossover guys - based in The Netherlands. Probably not worth it for speakers this old, but a great resource for information on caps.

Might have a crack myself - hificollective.co.uk have an extensive range of caps in the UK.
    Avid Ingenium, Ortofon 2M Blue, Rega MM Phono stage, Arcam A85, Acoustic Energy AE209

Forum Regular
    Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful to me.

Forum Regular
    very helpful, thank you!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new on here & looking for some advice. I have some Acoustic Energy AE209s, old, but in great condition and suitable for my current needs. I was reading the reviews of the 209s on here and saw the following:

Smooothzzs - "replace the stock croosover ceramic resistors to wirewound Mills and MKT caps to ICW capacitors(PX and SA range)"
    and
    BanBan - "To get real airy highs and clear emotive vocals, replace the stock crossover caps to ICW (PX and SA) caps and resistors to 1% wirewound 12W Mills"

Does anyone know where I could get this done? I'm in the UK near Sheffield & would drive up to a couple of hours in any direction to get it done.
    Guys, I advise you to pay attention to the company https://au.edubirdie.com/pay-for-papers, which provides academic assistance to students.
    I'm generally happy with the speakers, but there's always the urge to tweak! I'm at least 18 months away from a major upgrade I reckon, but there's plenty of life left in the 209s & hopefully a bit more potential.

Cheers.
    I am also interested in solving the problem. Thank you for your inquiry.

Nice!

Thread Information