AR Newbie Registered Member

Question 2-ch speaker advice

I currently have a NAD S100 pre and a NAD S200 amp however; I have been trying to research a pair of speakers for around $1200. My room is reasonably small, approximately the size of a dorm room… it seems the more and more I read about speakers in that price range for two channel audio, the more and more there are.. I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what a good set would be? I have been looking at a few that have been stuck in my head such as B&W CDM 1nt’s the 805, Axiom, KEF. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    David

It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    My search for a similar speaker system ended when I found the Jean-Marie Reynaud Twin MKIII. I like them so much that I now own 2 pair and use them on my primary and secondary 2-ch systems. For the music that I primarily listen to (roots, folk, blues, jazz), they come closer to bringing the characteristics of live sound into your listening room better than any that I’ve heard. They have that rare ability to simply disappear, leaving you and the music all alone in the room. That’s not to say the Twins cannot get down and nasty, because they can certainly do that as well. Full retail for these speakers is around $1000.00 per pair and work best on 28" stands. Check the following links for more information.

http://www.jm-reynaud.com/jmr_us/twin.html

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/reynaudtwin.htm

http://www.venushifi.com/

-Dave
    Last edited by Dave918; 06-20-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    If you are in a dorm room where space is limited, I'd highly suggest taking a look at the Totem Rainmaker.
    I tested these out a few weeks back and I'm amazed at how much bass these little speakers pump out. The demonstration was in Canada, and the quote I got was $840 CDN. Not sure what the price is in the US, but I'd put these right up against the 805's or my Paradigm Studio 20's as well.
    The Rainmakers are quite small, but don't be fooled.

In your price range though, there's tons of models to choose from, and you are about to begin what I feel is the most enjoyable process in building a stereo...speaker shopping!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    It's more important to have your ear on something than your eyes on something when selecting speakers. Most major name brands - are easily beaten by competitors that don't advertise on the side of a bus - and just cause it looks good and is expensive doesn't actually make it good.

And reviews help a bit - but if you notice every product in most magazines get good reviews so the're more there to make you feel good about what you're buying and help you sell them later - which they don't since again everything gets a good review. (after all without good reviews to give out then companies would stop advertising and if the companies stopped doing that the magazine would go out of business). Holy conflict of interest Batman .

You have to listen to speakers - spend a day at a delaer and listen to several speakers - in the same room with the same equipment. Figure out which one sounds best to you - the one that moves you. Ignore the hype, pick what sounds best. Ask the dealers in your area - ones that you feel are honest. They may show you something from some company that you've never heard of before and it may make the bigger names ones sound like a clock radio in comparision. I found that and boght em so might you with whatever is available in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonack
    I currently have a NAD S100 pre and a NAD S200 amp however; I have been trying to research a pair of speakers for around $1200. My room is reasonably small, approximately the size of a dorm room… it seems the more and more I read about speakers in that price range for two channel audio, the more and more there are.. I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what a good set would be? I have been looking at a few that have been stuck in my head such as B&W CDM 1nt’s the 805, Axiom, KEF. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    David

Hi David,

Seems everyone has given you good advice. I can only add to the discussion by suggesting that you take your time auditioning speakers. Do a search for available speakers that you have within driving distance of your house...then start auditioning Take your time...and find out what you like.

Also, as rga has suggested, don't discount smaller speaker makers...many of these speakers can be great values. If you find that your interested in a particular (hard to find) speaker...do some research online...find what audio discussion forum has alot of talk about them...then post a message asking if there is anyone in your area that owns these speakers...and ask if you would be able to audition them. You may just get lucky

One last suggestion is that you also consider used/demo gear. There can be a good deal of money saved by buying used/demo gear. But do be careful that you buy from a seller (or dealer) with a good reputation...and ensure that the product is in good working order.

have fun!

(Dave918...hi )

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    By the way I own a pair of KEF Q8's and I have to say I'm really happy, especially with the vocals they preduce. But, like the other comments have mentioned you should stop reading about speakers and go listen to some. I'm pretty new to this whole hi-fi thing and started out by reading as well and believe me it just get more confusing. Just keep listening to different speakers till you find yourself saying "wow" over and over again while listen to a particular pair. -Robert

In no particular order:

Thanks,
    David
    B&W, Von Schweikert Audio, Mission, Dynaudio, Magnepan, Green Mountain Audio, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, JM Lab, Definitive Tech, Polk, Klipsch, Spendor, PSB, Quad, ProAc, Epos, Energy, Axiom, Athena, Castle, Vandersteen, and probably a hundred others I've missed. This is msrp, if you go used...oh Lord! $1200 buys you a LOT of good sound, so start listening.

This is going to take a while so don't feel rushed and simply enjoy the journey. Great speakers will give you a lifetime of enjoyment.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    If you can put them on the floor, don't forget Ohm MicroWalsh or Shahinian Starters. The Shahinians are more expensive and hard to find, but the Ohm's are an at-home demo. Look at the review: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

Forum Regular
    If you enjoy more of a laid back sound, perhaps look into the Odyssey Epiphany ($595 plus shipping) and, provided the NAD has a sub out, couple that with a Rocket UFW-10 sub. If not, the Adire Audio Rava should suffice. Could look at the Shamrock Audio Keelin or the VMPS QSO 626SE. Do not rule out the used market either for you may come accross a deal that is too good to pass up.

Forum Regular

Thanks,
    David
    I would go with smaller speakers and a sub. I currently have two large speakers (Infinity IL-40's) in my room (10x12) and a IL-100s sub and it is overkill, I wish I would have purchased better sounding smaller speakers along with a sub that has a lower frequency response.
    CDM 1nt's on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Hvostic
    [Look at the Energy Veritas 2.2s. Excellent speakers for the money and compare with B&W and KEFs.

Forum Regular
    There has been much great advice already. I also say to go out and listen locally and trust your ears. Take CD's with you, some of every genre you like. Take your time and have fun. I like Polk, Paradigm, and Boston Acoustics; but that's just me. Good luck.
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Your amplifier setup means you can look at more inefficient speakers like Magnepan and Dynaudio and such. Do listen to them, the Dynaudio 52 or 42 would work well in a small room. They sound fantastic at that price point. I caution you against internet speakers you cannot listen to first. Based on reviews I have seen Axiom and the like are comparable to something like the Paradigm monitor series and are generally bought by home theater guys with receivers...you can do much, much better with $1200. Go out and audition and tell us what you think!

RGA
    Forum Regular

Thanks,
    David
    I was not going to recommend a specific brand but another poster GSI on another forum was mentioning that he preferred the Audio Note AX two standmounts which retail for $549.00US over the B&W N805 at $2000.00US. I have not heard the AX Two - and while I'm skeptical that this could be so I do have speakers from the company and to me they sound better than the N801 at 5 times the price.

So if you can find a dealer they would be at least worth a listen. The bass won't go as low as the 805 - but GSI found them far more musically engaging throughout the midrange. If you're going to buy a sub anyway then perhaps this is a money saver to get a much better subwoofer.

They also sell an AZ(Absolute Zero) Two for $~950.00 - this is a floorstander. I have not heard it but it is a transmission line quasi horn(not really a horn) so you get ample bass and high sensitivity. It looked to be well built - not the prettiest things in the world but they also work well in corners and bass to 40hz and can be run off low powered tube amps. They use high quality wiring and drivers from Vifa. http://www.triodeandco.com/Prod_Loudspeakers.html
    complete pricing guide but you can talk any dealer down a bit http://www.jjaudio.com/AUDIO_NOTE/au..._pricelist.htm

I always like a speaker with an eye on higher sensitivity and easy impedences because you have far more options when buying amplifiers - you can still buy a 100 watter but you can also buy an 8 watt tube and still play loud.

Do try and listen to a speaker for a good length of time before you buy in a reasonably good listening room. High end dealers do sell less expensie speakers and gear - but you can actually hear the products more or less properly. ie; one set of speakers in the room only at one time - H/T is an exception.

Thread Information