Forum Regular

Q's for all the projector experts.

Hello,

I have recently started researching projectors as a solution to my TV upgrade. I am currently interested in the sanyo Z2 or the Panasonic L500U. I am renting my house and in my current place I think I will be limited to projecting an image ~80" diagonal. I will also have total control over ambient light, although while playing video games and watching sports I will want a little light.

At what offset from side to side will the screen become noticabley trapazoidal, and a keystone adjustment will be needed. Ceiling mounting is not out of the question, Im just looking at all my options.

I have read many reviews on the sanyo and panasonic, and in only one have I heard mention of black levels looking grey. Is this most likely because of the screen choice, or is this an unavoidable limitaion of these projectors

What type of screen choices would you recomend for these projectors. Projectorcentral.com mentioned a low gain, high contrast gray. are there any other recomendations.

I plan to hook up a DVD player(DVI I assume) and XBOX(component) to the pj. Are there any length restrictions for these types of connections, because most likey the dvd player and surround sound reciever will be located behind the viewing position and the xbox will be in front.

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by terpfanatic
    Hello,

I have recently started researching projectors as a solution to my TV upgrade. I am currently interested in the sanyo Z2 or the Panasonic L500U. I am renting my house and in my current place I think I will be limited to projecting an image ~80" diagonal. I will also have total control over ambient light, although while playing video games and watching sports I will want a little light.

At what offset from side to side will the screen become noticabley trapazoidal, and a keystone adjustment will be needed. Ceiling mounting is not out of the question, Im just looking at all my options.

I have read many reviews on the sanyo and panasonic, and in only one have I heard mention of black levels looking grey. Is this most likely because of the screen choice, or is this an unavoidable limitaion of these projectors

What type of screen choices would you recomend for these projectors. Projectorcentral.com mentioned a low gain, high contrast gray. are there any other recomendations.

I plan to hook up a DVD player(DVI I assume) and XBOX(component) to the pj. Are there any length restrictions for these types of connections, because most likey the dvd player and surround sound reciever will be located behind the viewing position and the xbox will be in front.

Thanks for any help
    I myself have the Epson Powerlite S1 and love it. Regarding the black level, the projectors you've mentioned are LCD based and they traditionally output a dark grey as opposed to true black. That is one of their limitations but I chose LCD over DLP because while DLP can do better blacks, LCD has better color saturation and a brighter picture.

Even if you don't mount it on a ceiling, try to keep the projector as lined up to the screen as possible. While you can you horizontal keystone correction for an offset placement, keystone reduces resolution and brightness. I myself have my projector on a bookshelf behind the viewing position.

Regarding long run cables, anything under 100 feet should not affect picture quality much. You may want to rethink hooking up a DVD player with DVI, just for economic reasons. A 50 foot DVI cable can cost $500 (no joke) and it might make more sense to just make one component connection to the projector and let your receiver do the video switching.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by terpfanatic
    Hello,

Thanks for any help
    Of the two projectors that you're considering, I recommend the Sanyo Z2 as the better choice - for at least three reasons. In fact, the Sanyo would be MY choice (for value)at any price level up to many thousands of dollars!.

1. The Sanyo has a feature called lens shift which is a considerable aid and benefit in getting the unit properly setup and adjusted - usually without having to resort to "keystone correction" (see the review of the Z2 at projectorcentral.com for details on this).

2. The Sanyo comes with a 3 year warranty ... the Panasonic, only 1 year!

3. My servicing experience with Panasonic products has been less than gratifying - to put it kindly. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I doubt seriously that I'd ever again purchase another Panasonic product for my own use! Their performance is outstanding (just like Sony's is), but their servicibility and technical support leave a lot to be desired.

As to your other questions regarding type of screen, etc. I defer to projectorcentral for their expertise - they have far more experience with front projectors than I do.

Hope this helps you
    Last edited by woodman; 06-15-2004 at 01:20 PM.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Thread Information