AR Newbie Registered Member

Infinity beta 50 vs Paradigm Monitor 7

I had a listen to Infinity beta 50 at CC the other day. I must say that I am quite impressed with the smooth vocal music reproduction on the beta 50. I'm also impressed with the bass reproduction - clear and controlled.

I had not have the time yet to listen to the same vocal music on Paradigm Monitor 7 --- just the sales guy playing his selection. Sounds pretty good too.Before I get my musical selection compiled, I would like to ask your opininon. I know this may not be quite a fair comparison since the Infinity has 2 - 8" woofers. The fact of the matter is, however, I am comparing similarly priced speakers. CC had the Infinity for sale at 600 a pair but I clearly avoided a compulsive buy.

So what do you think?

Forum Regular
    I hate when they break out "their selections". It's always the same dang thing. "Here, I'll put in a live recording of Carlos Santana playing his 18 string guitar.." Bring yer own music! They'll play stuff that they know will sound good.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by audionic
    I had a listen to Infinity beta 50 at CC the other day. I must say that I am quite impressed with the smooth vocal music reproduction on the beta 50. I'm also impressed with the bass reproduction - clear and controlled.

I had not have the time yet to listen to the same vocal music on Paradigm Monitor 7 --- just the sales guy playing his selection. Sounds pretty good too.Before I get my musical selection compiled, I would like to ask your opininon. I know this may not be quite a fair comparison since the Infinity has 2 - 8" woofers. The fact of the matter is, however, I am comparing similarly priced speakers. CC had the Infinity for sale at 600 a pair but I clearly avoided a compulsive buy.

So what do you think?
    If the infinity's have dual 8" woofers and you are conserned about comparing the mon. 7's with dual 6.5's then take a gander at the mon. 9's. They have dual 8's and can be had usually for about $150 more then the 7's.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audionic

So what do you think?
    The size of the woofer or how many woofers does not necessarily equate to deep bass. I am roundly unimpressed with the monitor series. Have not heard the infinity line. Have you considered Energy.

Also try and get away from CC. Find some higher end dealers in your town - Higher end does not necessarily mean higher prices. Quite often you can spend half as much in a high end dealer and get twice the sound.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The size of the woofer or how many woofers does not necessarily equate to deep bass. I am roundly unimpressed with the monitor series. Have not heard the infinity line. Have you considered Energy.

Also try and get away from CC. Find some higher end dealers in your town - Higher end does not necessarily mean higher prices. Quite often you can spend half as much in a high end dealer and get twice the sound.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I actually have a pair of Energy C-1. At the time I listened to the Infinity, I felt that the infinity is smoother but not everything else is the same. The Infinity was driven by HK receiver, while at home I have a Denon driving the Energy. The acoustic environments are not the same either.

PS. I changed my username to a fictitious name, from audionic to Odionic.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    To be quite honest I would try and avoid a speaker using metal tweeters if possible. The only ones I have found remotely acceptable are from B&W and JM Labs.

Unfortunately most are making speakers to work best with explosions in home theater and lilt the treble. Lesser tweeeters with grain don't help.

I would give a serious listen to the Quad standmounts or Mission floorstanders - Maybe even Wharfedale.

And do look used - your money will go far further.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quite honestly I prefer metal tweeters to textile or silk or what have you. I have some wonderfully smooth silk Vifa tweeters that cost more than some speakers I've owned. But as a drummer, I've always found metal tweeters are the absolute best at reproducing symbals, snares etc. Not to mention squelch in a searing Joe Satrianni solo or whatever. To each their own I guess, don't rule out metal tweeters though, nothing wrong with them at all.

I'm not a fan of the Infinity Betas, and would gladly take the Monitors or Connoisseurs in a heartbeat. I agree with RGA, the last 2 brands can easily be found used for a good price.

My advice to you is to buy a smaller model than the large floorstanders. I find the Mini Monitors or C-3's for example to sound better than their larger counterparts, without sloppy cabinet resonance.
    The money you save could be put towards a decent subwoofer and provide more satisfaction overall.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cam
    If the infinity's have dual 8" woofers and you are conserned about comparing the mon. 7's with dual 6.5's then take a gander at the mon. 9's. They have dual 8's and can be had usually for about $150 more then the 7's.
    Thanks foir the info.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    To be quite honest I would try and avoid a speaker using metal tweeters if possible. The only ones I have found remotely acceptable are from B&W and JM Labs.

Unfortunately most are making speakers to work best with explosions in home theater and lilt the treble. Lesser tweeeters with grain don't help.

I would give a serious listen to the Quad standmounts or Mission floorstanders - Maybe even Wharfedale.

And do look used - your money will go far further.
    Do the Quad or Mission have even output from 100 Hz to 15000 Hz?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Quite honestly I prefer metal tweeters to textile or silk or what have you. I have some wonderfully smooth silk Vifa tweeters that cost more than some speakers I've owned. But as a drummer, I've always found metal tweeters are the absolute best at reproducing symbals, snares etc. Not to mention squelch in a searing Joe Satrianni solo or whatever. To each their own I guess, don't rule out metal tweeters though, nothing wrong with them at all.

I'm not a fan of the Infinity Betas, and would gladly take the Monitors or Connoisseurs in a heartbeat. I agree with RGA, the last 2 brands can easily be found used for a good price.

My advice to you is to buy a smaller model than the large floorstanders. I find the Mini Monitors or C-3's for example to sound better than their larger counterparts, without sloppy cabinet resonance.
    The money you save could be put towards a decent subwoofer and provide more satisfaction overall.

Good luck.
    With music, nothing can be closer to the truth.

For HT, I switched (A/B SW) to my old pair of JBL, 3-way with 10" woofer. Despite the slightly lower quality, they can put out quite an impressive sound effect even with the cross-ver set at 80Hz, small, and subwoofer ON. If front L/R are set to LARGE, the JBL can put out quite a walop. I conclude that a floorstander with dual woofers can do the same provided the efficiency is ~90db for 1 watt input.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Odionic
    Do the Quad or Mission have even output from 100 Hz to 15000 Hz?
    Well I would listen to the speakers rather than worrying about the measurement. You have to correlate what sounds best - ideally you would listen to 400 loudspeakers pick the best ones that actually sounded best to you and THEN look at the measurements and see what the correlation is. Even then they would have to be virtually identical graphs to have any relevance - like a slight dip at 1-2khz. If one had that and another had a huge spike - then where are you? And of course the room would have to be identical.

Plus it always depends on which models - some missions are not as good as others same for most speaker makers.

These guys review speakers in a panel of listeners in a blind environment - Make a note that speakers getting 4 or 5 stars are not the same thing. For instance some speakers that get 5 stars is comprised of SOUND/BUILD and VALUE for money. While some 4 star speakers actually get 5 stars for sound. And you have to look at the general price range - because a 4 star 3k speaker is still better than a $300.00 speaker getting 5 stars. And of course it is difficult to objectify subjective experiences like speakers.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_l...category=LSPKS

Also certain 4 star speakers(overall) but that get 5 for sound quality may also get a hi-fi choice recommended or best buy tag.

Thread Information