Thread: Best HD DVDS??

Forum Regular

Best HD DVDS??

I bought a HD tv and was wondering what is the best dvds out there to watch with a progressive scan dvd player, other than cartoons. Im debating on keeping the tv or not. All I have right now is 480p until I get HD receiver but I feel the tv is lacking.

Forum Regular

questions...

First off, what TV did you purchase? Second, although you seem to indicate that you know the difference, I would just point out that DVDs are not yet HD. You are correct though that your HD set will allow you to take advantage of a progressive scan player.

If you are looking for good video quality, there are a number of new recent DVDs that you could look at...e.g. Tomb Raider 2, James Bond, XMen 2, Lord of the Rings etc.

I would also recommend that you go out and purchase a calibration disc for your new TV (either Sound and Vision or the new Digital Video Essentials would do) and calibrate your user settings (brightness, contrast etc) to give a better picture. You should also be doing things like disabling the Scan Velocity Modulation (if you can) and other 'enhancements' that your TV would default to.

I can assure you that with both DVD's and HDTV content, a properly set-up widescreen HD set should look fantastic!

Forum Regular

Where do I get a Disc

Keith Im sorry I ment good quality DVD's. Wher edo I get a Disc like that? It seem sthat the tv is just "off" kinda cloudy, inda blocky. Well thats with Cable I know it will be worse but I had a 52 4:3 tv and cable actually looked good sat was like dvd quality. But now Sat dish is decet but not like the 52inch. Does it just take awhile to get used to? Im about 12 feet away is that enough space? If you would go to the philips page and please look at it and tell me was it a good deal 1899 I paid, model number 60pw9383.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith from Canada
    First off, what TV did you purchase? Second, although you seem to indicate that you know the difference, I would just point out that DVDs are not yet HD. You are correct though that your HD set will allow you to take advantage of a progressive scan player.

If you are looking for good video quality, there are a number of new recent DVDs that you could look at...e.g. Tomb Raider 2, James Bond, XMen 2, Lord of the Rings etc.

I would also recommend that you go out and purchase a calibration disc for your new TV (either Sound and Vision or the new Digital Video Essentials would do) and calibrate your user settings (brightness, contrast etc) to give a better picture. You should also be doing things like disabling the Scan Velocity Modulation (if you can) and other 'enhancements' that your TV would default to.

I can assure you that with both DVD's and HDTV content, a properly set-up widescreen HD set should look fantastic!
    Some of the best DVD's out there are Blackhawk down (transfered in HD) and T2 both of these are high quality DVD's I believe they push somewhere in the 400 res area, most DVD go around 290-350, VHS is only 220 and regular analog TV is 190.

Thread Information