Forum Regular

A question to the meter readers.

I am calling those who always argue on the side of measurements, as meter readers. You know, the people who always bring up testing, studies, and mearurements as the real truth when listening to audio equipment. The ones who say because your ears are biased, and your mind fills in the blanks, that's why you thought you heard a difference, you really didn't. They spout "audio bull****", "audio myth", and "hyperbole."

My question: How do you listen to your system?

Here is my guess. Remember, it's only a guess.

First, you place a CD into your CD player, or a LP onto your turntable. Next you proceed to shove five pounds of cotton into those little biased receptors we call ears. This way you can't hear a damn thing. I mean why let your ears biase your musical enjoyment.

Second, you position microphones in front of your speakers. The microphones are in turn connected to somekind of measuring device, maybe a computer. If it is a computer, I'm sure you have some kind of computer software that allows you to see exactly what it is that your are listening to.

Next, you press play on your CD player, or gently place the stylus upon the LP, and sit back and enjoy. You look at those pretty little meters, or computer screen and say: "Man, does that look, I mean sound GOOOOOOD!" No biase here! Can't be, I took my ears out of the equation. I am know listening to the truth, audio nirvana. Numbers, measurments, and scientific testing do not lie. They are the only way to really hear what it is that your are listening to! We must take "Audio Myth", "Audio Bull****", and "Audio Hyperbloe" out of the equation. We will teach you what your are really listening to. We are the barriers of the audio truth.

Again, I did say I was just guessing. I'm sure I'm wrong, aren't I?

As for me, I will continue to listen to my system with my biased little ears. I don't care about your so called audio truth. I like to find out for myself about "Audio Myth", "Audio Bull****e", and "Audio Hyperbole". I'll decide if they have any truth or not!

Have fun looking, I mean listening to your systems!

Sincerely,
    bturk667.

Forum Regular
    I am calling those who always argue on the side of measurements, as meter readers. You know, the people who always bring up testing, studies, and mearurements as the real truth when listening to audio equipment. The ones who say because your ears are biased, and your mind fills in the blanks, that's why you thought you heard a difference, you really didn't.

Well, , it is not your ears that are biased, your mind is as far as I know

My question: How do you listen to your system?

With 2 ears.

Here is my guess. Remember, it's only a guess.
    First, you place a CD into your CD player, or a LP onto your turntable. Next you proceed to shove five pounds of cotton into those little biased receptors we call ears. This way you can't hear a damn thing. I mean why let your ears biase your musical enjoyment.

Yep, it is only your guess, a very poor one at that.

Second, you position microphones in front of your speakers.

Yep, your guessing is getteing worse, not better

Next, you press play on your CD player, or gently place the stylus upon the LP, and sit back and enjoy.

Well, after skipping all your previous guesses, this is it

Again, I did say I was just guessing. I'm sure I'm wrong, aren't I?

Yes, you did

As for me, I will continue to listen to my system with my biased little ears. I don't care about your so called audio truth. I like to find out for myself about "Audio Myth", "Audio Bull****e", and "Audio Hyperbole". I'll decide if they have any truth or not!

Well, you should listen any way you like. Decide anyway you like. But, if presented as fact, or is testable, stand by.
    mtrycrafts

As an engineer, I hope you understand that science is part of my life and part of my personality. The reason I became an engineer is because I was interested in building stuff and seeing how stuff works.

So when a guy claims a certain tweak, cable or whatever sounds a certain way, I want to know why that is and that's the part that has held my curiosity at forums like this.

Personally, I haven't measured a damn thing in my audio system or anybody elses and don't plan to in the near future. And I only really have two requirements of my home audio system: one is that it sounds pretty close to how the CD or DVD should sound and two that it still sounds that way if and when I want to increase the volume.

And actually I play in a cover band so when I am learning new songs I listen pretty closely to what is being played, especially the bass and the drums. As an ironic matter of fact, I probably listen more closely than the average guy.

So I'm not sure what your point is but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Thread Information