Forum Regular

does anyone know any cheap bookshelf speakers with good bass

hi does anyone know about any good bookshelf speakers with good bass for under $200.00 or possibly under 100.00.

thanks Jeff

Forum Regular
    cerwin vega v-5 .....check these out the sound very good

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBrecklin
    hi does anyone know about any good bookshelf speakers with good bass for under $200.00 or possibly under 100.00.
    thanks Jeff
    Good bass or deep bass? - both cannot be achieved for $100.00 new. Used possibly if you look at 20 year old speakers. Old Boston Acoustics perhaps.

Speakers are a series of compromises - what you get given somewhere in the sound will likely be taken away somewhere else. Cerwin Vega is typically associated with bass - though generally it is exagerrated midbass - works well for rap and dance though I suppose but real deep deep bass and of high quality is very costly.

Forum Regular
    typical answer,exaggerated midbass doesnt hit you in the chest and sound fairly detailed for the price,what do you expect for under one 100.00 dollars... total accuracy???

Forum Regular

no i just want somthing that is cheep with good bass anyway so whats the cost and the power requirments of the cerwin vega V.

Forum Regular
    51/4" 2-way Bookshelf Monitor
    Frequency Response: 60 Hz - 20 kHz
    Recommend Power: 10 - 125 watts
    Sensitivity: 89 dB
    Impedance: 8 compatible
    Protection: Self-Resetting PTC (Tweeter)
    Video Shielding
    Dimensions (H x W x D): 10 5/8" x 6 3/8" x 8" (27 x 16.2 x 20.3 cm)
    Weight: 7 lb./3.2 kg
    Finish: Gray Granite Vinyl ................ they cost 84.99 per pair at etronics.com

Forum Regular

cheap favorites

here are some of my cheap favorites all prices are in pairs look on the net for where to get them or look in the review section:

BIC DV62si $120...I do not know how they can make a speaker this good for this cheap.

pioneer s-df-2k $120 very pleasant sound, great power and looks great...bought a pair of these for my nephew

Sound dynamics rts-3 $150 (audioadvisor) sound is more relaxed but more natural.

Axiom audio m3ti $220 I have not personally tried these but hear very good things.

PSB 2B $260 still my absolute favorite under $300, has definate audiophile qualites

There are many others from Canton, Heybrook, Cambridge, Acoustic energy, Mission, Monitor and Warfdale in the $200 to $300 range.

remember if cared for speakers will last a long time so you may not want to skimp on these.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    thanks Jeff
    Try Klipsch - they sound pretty good as well as having some solid bass. JBL less so in sound quality but has bass. http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=331

Forum Regular

If you're handy with a soldering iron...

...I would build the BR1 kit from PartsExpress.

"Good" bass? Well, it ain't bad, and suprising considering the cost. A bit on the fat, sloppy side, but it digs pretty deep all things considered. More importantly, the speaker sounds good throughout the rest of the spectrum. It has an easy-on-the-ears, soft-dome tweeter that can still dig up details (very quiet passages) within the recording... considering how many CDs are recorded, a bit of "sugar coating" isn't a bad idea.

I'll say the negatives are again, a bit of bass looseness, and a slight bit "hollow" sounding. I'm being critical here, and we can't forget the price is $139, probably $150ish to your front door (nice touch!) I haven't heard of anyone regretting them, and most were suprised (considering cost) You can check AudioAsylum.com for further opinions, as well as P.E.'s chat room. I can definitely see a budget HT system with 2 pairs of BR1s (run the receiver in "phantom" mode), and their better, 100 watt, 10", DIY sub. All of the speakers would be about $600.

The kit was fun to build and quite easy (I only had one semi-meltdown).

WELL worth the money!

Forum Regular

Yeah, these were the speakers...

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Good bass or deep bass? - both cannot be achieved for $100.00 new. Used possibly if you look at 20 year old speakers. Old Boston Acoustics perhaps.

Speakers are a series of compromises - what you get given somewhere in the sound will likely be taken away somewhere else. Cerwin Vega is typically associated with bass - though generally it is exagerrated midbass - works well for rap and dance though I suppose but real deep deep bass and of high quality is very costly.
    ...we were discussing in another thread. I had the A70s, and, AFAIR, they were a great budget speaker. Buying used is a viable option, but these were prone to some "breakdowns"... including surround rot (not a big deal) as well as the light cabinet coming apart at the seams (not necessarily inherent to all Bostons of that era)... my friend's A100s are showing signs of this now... we were actually talking about this today. IF one could find a pair of A70s or A100s (the best of the series, according to many "vintage" guys) in MINT, lightly-used condition, I would definitely consider. Point is, I think the BR1s are easier to build than to get the surround repair 100% perfect. You would also need the exact surround that Boston used on these...

I still have a few reference points... I got my friend's dad into the A60s 22 years ago, and they sound like crap hanging on the livingroom wall - we still joke about his "placement" methods. And, as I said, Bill still has the A100s. I remember hearing the A400s (3-way, 4-driver, tall, wide, shallow speaker) and thinking "it couldn't POSSIBLY get better than this"...

If one is comfortable with a used pair of A100s, for eg., go for it. I would look for pristine condition, otherwise pass.

Forum Regular
    Well if you're willing to look at used find a pair of Infinity RS-10B's. They are well built and have surprising bottom end for a bookshelf speaker. The Axiom M3ti is also not a bad choice. Buy a set of blems off their website. The Axioms do like a little more juice than the Infinity's though.

Mike

Forum Regular

which one

which one of these speakers are the cheapest my dads friend has a mint pair of old AAls he said he would trade his AAls for my smaller advents the AAls have 15 inch woofers and weigh 100 pounds a peice they have good bass are these speakers any good?

Jeff, you're killin' me!

which one of these speakers are the cheapest my dads friend has a mint pair of old AAls he said he would trade his AAls for my smaller advents the AAls have 15 inch woofers and weigh 100 pounds a peice they have good bass are these speakers any good?
    You are WAAAAYYY overthinking this. Which has more bass? What are the power ratings? Which sounds better? Aauuughh!

Here's an idea: Go LISTEN to them and figure it out for yourself. Music and sound reproduction are 90% subjective, 10% objective. No one can tell you if something sounds better than anything else, has more bass, etc. because we don't have your gear, your room, and most importantly your EARS. You've just gotta go out and find out for yourself.

This is about listening and enjoying music, remember?

Forum Regular

some oldies but goodies

hi does anyone know about any good bookshelf speakers with good bass for under $200.00 or possibly under 100.00.thanks Jeff
    jeff,

for that price, i'd say used in good condition is the only way to go to get good, satisfying bass. any piece of junk with certain amount of internal volume and lateral cone motion will provide a sufficient quantity of bass. but if you buy new i can guarantee it will suck.

here are a few sets i've purchased used, in well cared for condition, that have supremely satisfying bass.

Boston A40s- no need to get the bigger bros- this little box will surprise you. very little box-iness, and creamy midrange. Higher end models of this era supposedly have a better tweeter, but the A40 series one tweeter is a good one. look for a set that has been recently reconed, otherwise plan to do that because they will need it.

Paradigm Titans- actually bought these new some time ago, but i see used sets going for $150 or so on ebay. more efficient than the bostons, and sufficiently so that my favorite amp to run thru these is a 14 wpc tube amp. the more than ample bass provided by the titans underpins the sound and produces more dymanic range than you'd expect from a forty year old tube amp with 14 measly watts. They sound just swell with your average transistor amp, too.

celestion ditton 15s- these classics were made around 1969 and sound years newer than that. it's a little on the big side compared to the previous speakers mentioned (about 20" tall, maybe a little more) but they are a slim 9"wX9"D, so they don't take up much room.p plus the woofer and radiator have butyl surrounds: no rot to deal with. These are my favorite bookshelf speakers right now by a wide, wide margin, new and old models considered. Smooth highs, tight but very ample bass. everything seems to sound better through them. i think i'm biased though..

hope this helps.

michael

Forum Regular

never mind

Never mind i dont need any more bass. My kenwoods gave me a head ache because they have so much bass.

Forum Regular

hello

hello is anyone there

You just said never mind. What do you want?

Forum Regular

What I Bought Yesterday

Yesterday I bought a pair of Polk RTi4's from Circuit City for $200/pair. They sound great at home in my bedroom system (CD player through an 80s Sony 50watt/channel receiver). The bass is deep and tight. When my Boston Acoustic T1000 tower spakers eventually croak, the Rti4's will end up in my main system. Peace.
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Thread Information