AR Newbie Registered Member

Question for EE's: modding mini-systems

I would like to learn more about improving stereo sound and thought mini-systems would be a fun place to start. Is it possible to open the case and understand the circuitry enough to improve sound quality?
    Are there any electrical engineering books on the subject or would I need a BSEE and 5 years experience at Krell first?
    Some areas for improvement:
    * power supply - maybe a torroidial. Choke regulation.
    * Increase power amp output impedance to eliminate active preamp and have a "passive preamp" by substituting a good quality Radio Shack Alps pot volume control.
    * Reduce high frequency distortion.
    * isolation transformer to CDP section power supply.
    * reduce CDP jitter.
    I tried the Denon UD-M31 mini-system and would've liked to reduce CDP jitter or maybe put in a better DAC. Running my full size CDP through the Denon Aux input improved dynamic range and musical coherency. Is something like this possible?

Thanks for any help.

Forum Regular
    These mini-systems have pretty horrid little amplifiers in them. Typically they offer something like 25 watts at 10% distortion The rest of the innards are nothing to brag about, either. And a Denon UD-M31 mini-system for $380 is pretty steep.

I just ordered a Panasonic SA-HE100 black for $218 delivered. This thing looks to be reasonably substantial, and should do a great job in my kitchen. Gotta keep the omelets happy.

So let's see:
    SA-HE100 for $218
    Pair of RS Lineaums $150
    CSW Sub $175
    DVD/CD for $50

Total: $543 or 43% more than the Denon, and you have something subsantial to work your magic with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckd55
    I would like to learn more about improving stereo sound and thought mini-systems would be a fun place to start. Is it possible to open the case and understand the circuitry enough to improve sound quality?
    Are there any electrical engineering books on the subject or would I need a BSEE and 5 years experience at Krell first?
    Some areas for improvement:
    * power supply - maybe a torroidial. Choke regulation.
    The chokes for the power supply will cost you more than the whole thing is worth and where are you going to put them? They'll be huge, if you can even find any that will handle the current at the inductance you're going to need.

* Increase power amp output impedance to eliminate active preamp and have a "passive preamp" by substituting a good quality Radio Shack Alps pot volume control.
    Huh, no, doesn't work that way.

* Reduce high frequency distortion.
    Okay, what happens when you suddenly find you have to redesign and re-layout the whole amplifier PC board??

* isolation transformer to CDP section power supply.
    Why?

* reduce CDP jitter.
    How do you know it's a problem?? Done extensive parametric bench and blind listening tests?

I tried the Denon UD-M31 mini-system and would've liked to reduce CDP jitter or maybe put in a better DAC. Running my full size CDP through the Denon Aux input improved dynamic range and musical coherency. Is something like this possible?

Thanks for any help.
    How were you able to verify what you're claiming here? How do you know it wasn't just a simple drive level shift?

Well, you'll start with a $200 box and end up with a $50,000 dollar one....

-Bruce

Thread Information