Forum Regular

Looking to buy a new subwoofer....need advice

I am planning on getting a subwoofer to add to my audio system in the near future. Let me first describe my system. I have a Yamaha HTR-5560 reciever and JBL Northbridge Series ND310 Series II. I am very happy with the way it sounds. But I want to add a subwoofer. However, I don't have a ton of money to go completely overboard. Since my speakers each have dual 10" woofers in them, I get a good amount of bass as it is. I want a sub that will give me clear, distinct lows but al be able to take a beating if I turn it up loud. Space is some what of an issue too. I was thinking of a subwoofer with a speaker no larger than about 10" unless there is a really good deal on a bigger one. I would like to keep the price decently below $200. Let me know what you think might work. It would also help if you gave me specific model numbers and any good deals that may be going on right now. Thanks in advance.

Forum Regular
    Used or do it yourself is your best bet. Another question is room size. For example, the Sony SA-WM40 was among the best out there in that price range but it will not perform well in a medium size room. Excellent subs can be found in the $400 - $500 range that are vastly better than new ones in the sub $200 range.

Forum Regular
    As far as a do it yourself sub. What would you recomend? I enjoy taking on projects like that. I guess I need to know what kind of time I would need to spend on building my own sub and what components to get. So I would need to know what kind of woofer to get, what kind of amp/any wiring and where to get a box for it (or do I have to make my own).

I think i can help

I'm glad you're considering DIY, otherwise most subs in this price range would huirt your system more then help it. Here's one Idea for around $200.

get this woofer

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=120479&DID=7

this amp

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-794&DID=7

then make a 3 cubic foot sealed box and buy some fill. Experiment with different amounts of fill until it sounds right. Make sure you brace the cabinet well and make sure it's completely air tight. You should go to some DIY forums and/or buy a book on speaker cabinet building. If you build it correctly, you can expect something like this in your room.

20hz-101 dB
    30hz-107 dB
    40hz-110
    50hz-111
    60hz-112
    70hz-113
    80hz-113

You won't get these exact same numbers in your room, no one will without an EQ.

-Joey

Quote Originally Posted by bullion
    As far as a do it yourself sub. What would you recomend? I enjoy taking on projects like that. I guess I need to know what kind of time I would need to spend on building my own sub and what components to get. So I would need to know what kind of woofer to get, what kind of amp/any wiring and where to get a box for it (or do I have to make my own).
    IMHO it will be difficult to get a lot of wooferage at that price range even if you build it yourself. For the time and effort you will put into it without getting good components the result might not be what you had hoped for.

Here's a site that sells kits to give you an idea. I didn't see any here in your price range. Look on the right for kits and/or parts.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....WebPage_ID=214

Looking for something used might be a solution.

Good luck.

TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular
    What about a JBL PB10 or PB12? I love my JBL ND310 II main speakers. If you think I should still go for a DIY subwoofer....is there any place I can get an affordable enclosure that looks decent and will serve my purpose? I don't have a lot of time right now to build my own.

Forum Regular
    Also, what about the Harman Kardon HKSUB 12 subwoofer? I found decent deals on ebay for the HKSUB 12, PB10 and PB12. They are all new and straight from the factory for less than $200. What do you think.

Yeah, I've taken note of the HKSUB12 (NEW) selling on ebay for approximately 165-175 U.S. dollars. I've been thinking that is a good deal but have been reluctant since I don't know of anyone who has bought one. Please post if you have one or have experience with one. Thanks, Paul.

3db
    Forum Regular

hey Tinhere *S*

I agree with your post. Given that his speakers already conatin dual 10" woofers and with a frequency response going down to at least the low 40s, he''l be hard pressed to get anything that will reach down into th elow 20s for $200.

Question for you is, what is that thing swayingback and forth in your profile?

Forum Regular

Go to the reviews

about that jbl sub and I think you will back off

Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    I
    Question for you is, what is that thing swayingback and forth in your profile?
    It's a gif I found called "dancing pill" when I couldn't get this one to fit even with the IrfranView program Jim Clark posted. It made me smile, but if it bugs enough people I can get rid of it. I really wouldn't want to see the every page dancing all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular
    So it sounds like you are saying to stay away from the JBL subs. Well what about that Harman Kardon HKSUB 12

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bullion
    I am planning on getting a subwoofer to add to my audio system in the near future. Let me first describe my system. I have a Yamaha HTR-5560 reciever and JBL Northbridge Series ND310 Series II. I am very happy with the way it sounds. But I want to add a subwoofer. However, I don't have a ton of money to go completely overboard. Since my speakers each have dual 10" woofers in them, I get a good amount of bass as it is. I want a sub that will give me clear, distinct lows but al be able to take a beating if I turn it up loud. Space is some what of an issue too. I was thinking of a subwoofer with a speaker no larger than about 10" unless there is a really good deal on a bigger one. I would like to keep the price decently below $200. Let me know what you think might work. It would also help if you gave me specific model numbers and any good deals that may be going on right now. Thanks in advance.
    I think you should wait til you have more$$. I have a Paradigm PDR10 that was about $300 that I am very happy with. Small box(wife friendly) excellent tight none boomy bass

Thread Information