Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Headphone recommendation

What are a good pair of headphones to buy (< $200)?

thanks
    Nadeem

Forum Regular

Grado

My reccomendation would be anything by grado. I havent found too many headphones in the range that you want to spend that sound better. I would also be curious as to what your going to be powering them with. If there use is portable I would stay away from sennheiser as they are 300 ohm and do not fare well with portables. Grado sr-80's, sr-125's and sr-225's should all be in your price range. And sound great with portable as well as home amps. I currently use the grado RA-1 headphone amp and the Rs-2's and they are simply a dream.

Sennheiser. I have the 570's. Amazing. I tried the Grados, but they are just the most uncomfortable things I've ever had on my head (other than maybe a football helmet!). You don't even know you're wearing Sennheisers, and the sound is just incredible. They are very revealing though! They will expose crappy equipment and recordings.

Forum Regular
    I would try switching out the earphone pads if you think the grado's are uncomfortable. I thought exactly the same thing and called grado and they sent me some new pads for free to fix the problem and it surely did

Forum Regular

Grado

I was leaning towards the Grado 125's. I have a Denon 80 watt amp.

Are they really that uncomfortable, or do they just take getting used to?

regards
    Nadeem

Forum Regular
    see if you can borrow them overnight from your local audio place...or at least find someone with a liberal return policy in case you dont like them. Ask them for the earpads that the sr-60's come with as a standard. Otherwise I think most people stock them for around 10 dollars. I think comfort is also subjective.

If you're looking for something on the portable side, check out Sennheiser PXC 250. The noise-cancelling mechanism is kinda annoying (for portable use), but they're great headphones.

Forum Regular

For the best value (under $50), you outta give Koss PortaPros a try. They haven't changed their design for these particular headphones in over a decade, so they are really great as they are (considering great audio reviews as well). They aren't noise-cancelling but are good in the bass end and just sound great overall.

A fellow online (4th year electrical engineering student) recommended me these with a portable amplifier he builds as a hobby (I bought one of his a few months ago and it is fantastic). Even if you don't have a portable amplifier they have great sensitivity without one. Supposedly there is a lifetime warranty considering you don't abuse them (I've abused them volume-wise without damage myself).

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nahmed

Are they really that uncomfortable, or do they just take getting used to?
    they take some adjustment... but not in terms of getting used to them. their headband is adjustable. i usually bend them into more of an 'A' shape from the 'O' shape they come in. i find that this takes a lot of the pressure off of my ear cartilage (most people's complaint).

Forum Regular
    About 12 year ago, Consumer's Reports gave an unqualified recommendation for Sony MDR V-6. After listening to a neighbor's pair I ordered two pairs myself and have never regretted it. The typical dicsounted price which I paid (J&R) was $67. I don't know if this model is still available but if it isn't, I think they have a comparable one which is nearly identical. About the only criticism is that like most over the ear types, they can get hot after a while and I've read reports that the foam ear surrounds will deteriorate after many years of constant use. I have not had that problem because I only use them occasionally but when I do, I am constantly aware of their outstandly clear and accurate wide range sound.

Suspended
    Sony MDR V-6. After listening to a neighbor's pair I ordered two pairs myself and have never regretted it. The typical dicsounted price which I paid (J&R) was $67. I don't know if this model is still available but if it isn't, I think they have a comparable one which is nearly identical.
    The MDR-V6 was a rebadged MDR-7506. The MDR-7506 was and still is a standard professional monitoring headphone. The average price for the 7506 currently is approx. $100 USD. All part numbers for the two models are identical, as provided by Sony, for the two headphones except for the plug(7506 versin is gold plated, V6 version is nickel plated) and the metal covers that have the model number engraved on them(V6 vs. 7506).

It may be important to point out that you are not talking about the MDR-V600. The V600 was the 'replacement' for the V6 for retail stores, but it is completely inferior in construction quality and in sonic accuracy. Many people may assume you are talkionag about the V600 since it is the current product and is relatively well known.

About the only criticism is that like most over the ear types, they can get hot after a while and I've read reports that the foam ear surrounds will deteriorate after many years of constant use
    The cloth/velour based replacement earpads for the Beyter DT-250 will fit the MDR-7506/V6. The Beyer pads set the headphone sligtly farther from the ears(allieviating some of the ear contact they may experience) and are generally cooler, since your skin breathes better with the cloth material.

-Chris

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by nahmed
    What are a good pair of headphones to buy (< $200)?

thanks
    Nadeem
    Going purely by popularity(overall list, no listed in any popularity order) as claimed by many people on headphone forums, I list the following headphones that can be purchaed for under $200:

Grado SR-60
    Grado SR-80
    Grado SR-125
    Audio Technica ATH-900
    Senheisser HD-580
    Sony MDR-7506
    Sony MDR-V6(same as MDR-7506, not same as MDR-V600)
    AKG-271

-Chris

Forum Regular
    Thanks Chris. It's nice to know that if I ever need or want another pair or two, I can still get them.

Suspended

Sennheiser!!! Without A Doubt

Ye who have ears, let them hear. I was looking for headphones about a year ago and posed the same question. Two names came up consistently Grado and Sennheiser. I first needed something for my main system which did not offer headphone out, so I bought the head amp&phone dynamic duo, Sennheiser HD600's & Musical Fidelity's X-can. I was blown away by the Sennheiser's. I didn't know that much hi fidelity could come from a headphone. Then i needed another pair to replace my AKG 240's I use on my bedroom receiver at night. Well I always wondered if I missed something by not listening to the Grado. So I took my AKG's to a store that sold Grado and done a comparison. I almost laughed out loud, what was everyone raving about Grado for? I didn't like them as well as the AKG and they don't even come close to sounding as good as my Sennheiser HD580's I ended up buying and the Grado's I listened to cost more money than the 580's. Each pair of Grado as I went up in price listening to them had bass that was bloated and very much over baring on the rest of the sound which lacked much detail. Especially for the price they were charging. And then there is the cheezy look and discomfort of Grado. They look like the old headphones we had at our school library.

The Sennheiser's have a wide frequency response and will allow you to be able to hear every detail your system has to offer. You will be immediately impressed. They have nice comfortable padding that fit over your whole ear. They can be a little tight fitting until broke in and they are open back design, so they will leak sound out into the room bad. Not a good choice for my bedroom listening but I can't give them up.

www.amusicdirect.com has 10% off on website purchases until the 31st but you have to get the code off of their news letters or call the 800# and hope a sales person will be nice enough to give it to you. Plus they are blowing out the HD600's at $200. a pair which retail was $295. and you can get a pair of B-stock 580's for $129.00. You can still subtract 10% from that. Also I heard the same crap about not working with portables very well. I found that not to be true. I have a little am/fm walkman about the size of a small fold up cell phone and it drove my 580's better than the small walkman headphones. This impression could also be from the 580's having much more frequency response. They did seem to play louder though. But i figure why in the world would you buy a large over the ear headphone for any portable anyway. MD also sell Grado, you may want to try both rather than take my account of it, send one back. They have 30 day return policy. I'm confident you will keep the Sennheiser

I would also add a recommendation to give the Grados a listen. At $60, the Grado SR60 is easily the best value item I have in my system. They have great detail all across the frequency range and are much more revealing than cans I've heard before that cost over $200. Plus, they are easy enough to drive so that you can use them with portables or home components without needing an outboard headphone amp. Their drawback is that they look like WWII surplus equipment and other headphones are more comfortable (though the newer foam pads are a huge improvement over their previous designs with the donut shape). But, in terms of sound quality for the money, the SR60, 80, and 125 are hard to beat. I haven't heard their higher priced Reference lineup, so can't comment on those.

While I hear a lot of good things about the Sennheisers, I can tell you first hand that they are not consistently great across the board, so be very careful about which model you're considering. I heard some higher end Senns several years ago (in the $200-$300 range) and thought they measured up very well compared to the ribbon-driver Stax cans that cost over $500 and required an outboard headphone amp. Given this, I ordered a pair of the Sennheiser HD500 Fusions. BIG mistake. Those things are about the most ill-conceived products I've ever seen from a company of Sennheiser's reputation. The HD500s had just about the most dreary and bloated bottom-heavy sound I've ever heard. You want to know what dark and suicidal sounds like? Go ahead and give those cans a listen.

Supposedly, they were designed with a bump in the bass for hip-hop, rock, and electric jazz, but they distort with those sources at even moderate volumes, so they can't even do their purported purpose correctly. And that exaggerated bass ruins other music. Thought about going up to the HD580, but with my experience with the HD500, no way I was going to support a company that could crank out a product that lousy and have the audacity to charge $90 for it -- especially since I found exactly what I was looking for with the less expensive SR60. Even if you wind up going with Sennheisers in the end, just avoid the HD500, unless you're thinking about killing yourself, in which case I would give those cans my highest recommendation.

Suspended
    Thought about going up to the HD580, but with my experience with the HD500, no way I was going to support a company that could crank out a product that lousy and have the audacity to charge $90 for it -- especially since I found exactly what I was looking for with the less expensive SR60. Even if you wind up going with Sennheisers in the end, just avoid the HD500, unless you're thinking about killing yourself, in which case I would give those cans my highest recommendation.
    Rarely, will I recommend something based specifically on it's 'sound' since this is a subjectie issue. I may argue actual accuracy in some limited cases(not to be confused with 'liking' the sound-two different subjects).... the original poster of this thread might appreciate the HD500, however bad it may sound too you? For example, I felt that the Grado SR-60 and SR-80 were pitiful excuses for headphones.... but.... that's just my opinion. Some people(you, for example) may very well enjoy the sound of the SR-60 headphones. Indeed, the SR-60 is claimed by many on audio boards to be a great headphone for the respective price. Who am I to argue? I will note that I can not remember a positive comment concerning the HD-500 from anyone on a headphone forum, only bad feedback -- this might mean something. My main reason for replying was that I was bored and could not find anything else to reply too....:-)

-Chris
    Last edited by WmAx; 05-21-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WmAx
    Rarely, will I recommend something based specifically on it's 'sound' since this is a subjectie issue. I may argue actual accuracy in some limited cases(not to be confused with 'liking' the sound-two different subjects).... the original poster of this thread might appreciate the HD500, however bad it may sound too you? For example, I felt that the Grado SR-60 and SR-80 were pitiful excuses for headphones.... but.... that's just my opinion. Some people(you, for example) may very well enjoy the sound of the SR-60 headphones. Indeed, the SR-60 is claimed by many on audio boards to be a great headphone for the respective price. Who am I to argue? I will note that I can not remember a positive comment concerning the HD-500 from anyone. My main reason for replying was that I could not find anything else to reply too....:-)

-Chris
    Indeed assessing sound is very subjective, but in the case of the HD500, it's one of the few products from a reputable company I've heard that I will honestly say is truly bad. Some people might appreciate it for its emphasis in the bass, especially since the HD500 was designed for hip-hop and bass-heavy rock and electric jazz. But, given that it audibly distorts at even moderate levels with hip-hop, it doesn't even properly do what it was designed for. I'm not one to make blanket recommendations (just check my previous posts, you'll see that most of the time I tell people to do their own listenings and decide for themselves), but there are times that you have to call a spade a spade.

But, if anyone wants to check out the HD500s for themselves, I certainly won't discourage that. Who knows, if you think the SR60s and 80s are as bad as you say they are, then the HD500 might be more to your liking. Very different type of sound, but one that I can't justify, especially for $90.

Suspended

Woodchifer

That is unfortunate that the 500s was the pair you got to try. I'm not familiar with them but I can assure you that their HD600, 580 & 570's are nothing like you describe the 500s. These are more like the Senn's you heard that compared to the Stax. The bass is not bloated at all, in fact the bass is incredibly tight and detailed. I also have had no problem what so ever with distortion. This is a good example as to how one bad product can damage a companies reputation. Hopefully they took notice. Seems like both Grado and Sennheiser have devoted fans. Both have distinctively different presentations though, that's a fact. The Senn's presentation are more toward the sound of my Dynaudio speakers, very wide frequency range, dynamic and open sounding. Grado to me is like the stereotypical tube amp sound, over emphasized bass which lacks detail and rolled off highs. Grado's coloration may be appealing to those who have portables or receivers in order to compensate for the equipment's lack of ability. In comparing both brands Sennheiser was so far superior in every aspect that Grado wasn't even a consideration. Especially, since Grado's $200+ phones didn't even compare to my $90 AKG's. I hope someday you will get a chance to listen to another pair of Senn's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That is unfortunate that the 500s was the pair you got to try. I'm not familiar with them but I can assure you that their HD600, 580 & 570's are nothing like you describe the 500s. These are more like the Senn's you heard that compared to the Stax. The bass is not bloated at all, in fact the bass is incredibly tight and detailed. I also have had no problem what so ever with distortion. This is a good example as to how one bad product can damage a companies reputation. Hopefully they took notice. Seems like both Grado and Sennheiser have devoted fans. Both have distinctively different presentations though, that's a fact. The Senn's presentation are more toward the sound of my Dynaudio speakers, very wide frequency range, dynamic and open sounding. Grado to me is like the stereotypical tube amp sound, over emphasized bass which lacks detail and rolled off highs. Grado's coloration may be appealing to those who have portables or receivers in order to compensate for the equipment's lack of ability. In comparing both brands Sennheiser was so far superior in every aspect that Grado wasn't even a consideration. Especially, since Grado's $200+ phones didn't even compare to my $90 AKG's. I hope someday you will get a chance to listen to another pair of Senn's.
    Having heard some of the higher priced Senn models several years earlier, I know that they are a very reputable company, which is why the HD500 was such a disappointment. Those models were relatively new when I bought them, and their sound was nothing like I expected. The literature said that they had an emphasis on the bass, and while I can live with that, the distortion was something that did not sit well. Those things sounded so bad to me that they turned me off on the rest of the Senn lineup; however enough credible people on this board have said good things about the 570, 580, and 600s to lead me to believe that the problems with the HD500 don't extend to their other models. I'll guess have to try out some of their other models sometime just so that my own experience doesn't dominate my entire view of them. And as far as the HD500s are concerned, it's not just me.

http://www.audioreview.com/Headphone...9_2750crx.aspx

Believe me, your description of the Grados' sound is exactly what my impression of the HD500 was. By comparison, the SR60 has a more open sound, much more realistic mids, tighter bass, and far more detail in the highs.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Firstly, I would not let people side-track or try to subvert the Senn 580 and 600 by attacking a different inferior model in the 500.

another poster mentions that the Sony is used is the standard for the recording industry - in fact Sennheiser is used in most classical recording studios for use with primarily acoustic instruments. And Sennheiser is generally considered the most comfortable by most forumites. They are open air designs making them less useful for portable users because outsiders can hear what you hear...but so are the Grados.

The 60 is a nice entry level can and would be my pick at that price point no question of it - if you can get used to the comfort. The Sony MDR 750 I have was one of Sony's best models and presumably they have something similar today. Mine are all leather with a very nice adjustable expanding wrap - they have lasted now about 13 years --- their drawback is they got hot after a while.

The Senn 580 and 600 are very close but the 580 is probably the better value.

Suspended
    The Sony MDR 750 I have was one of Sony's best models and presumably they have something similar today.
    I believe the closest headphone today would probably be the Sony MDR-CD900ST. I don't know what qualifies 'best'..... 'best' in what specific regard? Price range? A particular use(please specify the use)? The MDR-CD3000 and MDR-R10 were available 10-15 years ago, too. Some consider these to be particularly good headphones, though considerably above the price range of the MDR-750 and CD900ST. Just wondering specifically what you mean, it seems like an open comment.

The Senn 580 and 600 are very close but the 580 is probably the better value
    I confirm your statement. I remember Senheisser stating they are almost the same headphone, the HD-600 basicly being a refined version, specifically on some of the materials used on the headband/frame.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Firstly, I would not let people side-track or try to subvert the Senn 580 and 600 by attacking a different inferior model in the 500.
    Where do you see sidetracking or subverting the 580 and 600 by anyone on this thread? (Since I'm the only who's discussed the 500, it's pretty clear that you intended that statement towards me; hiding behind a rhetorical statement like "I would not let people side-track or try to subvert" is a disappointing way of trying to impugn by inneuendo) The HD500 IMO is about as lousy a product from a reputable company as I've seen anywhere in audio. It's still available, and someone who sees all the acclaim for the higher priced 570, 580, and 600 models might assume that the 500 must be as good at its $90 price point as the others are at their price points when that clearly is not the case. So, how does this translate into some kind of backhanded attack on the 580 and 600?

Suspended
    But, given that it audibly distorts at even moderate levels with hip-hop, it doesn't even properly do what it was designed for.
    Did you test more then one sample? Perhaps it was a defective unit(distortion)?

But, if anyone wants to check out the HD500s for themselves, I certainly won't discourage that. Who knows, if you think the SR60s and 80s are as bad as you say they are, then the HD500 might be more to your liking
    Thank you for the suggestion. However, I have a feeling that seeking out these units(HD-500) to test would be waste of time. I woud be interested in hearing the Sennheiser HD-650, the newest of their hi-end offerings. The HD-580 and HD-600 sound okay too me, but the presentation was not my cup of tea. In another non relevant matter(not associated with my liking or not liking) it seemed these headphones added alot of distance(tonally) then the original recording intended. I do use a reference headphone for these comparisions. I use the MDR-7506 from Sony. Though I don't use this headphone for actual listening purposes(I used a different headphone for actuallly listening). I found that the MDR-7506, when micing axoustic sounds(i've tried voices, instruments, animals, etc.) with linear measurement microphones(linear amplitude response) and standing at the same distance from the acoustic sources as the microphones were placed -- when i a/b the live sound vs. the headphone it sounds almost exactly the same, tonally. I can't say that for any otehr headphone I have yet tried..... so I always compare other headphones with the 7506 with a selection of puris acoustic recordings; if they sound signficantly different, they can not be accurate in this manner. I do want to be clear: this does not mean the 7506 woudl even sound accurate in normal listening to commercial recordings...... this is dependant on many factors such as the recording itself, etc. This is only extends to controlled conditins, using linear microphones, monitoring live feeds. As I stated, I don't particularly like teh sound of the 7506 for general listening. But it's a darn good monitor, IMO.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by WmAx
    Did you test more then one sample? Perhaps it was a defective unit(distortion)?
    Nope, but if you read some of the user reviews on this and other sites, apparently I'm not the only one that's made note of that problem, among others. So, either there were a lot of defective units or a lot of users who found the same type of fault that I did about that particular model. I only suggest listening to the HD500 because in past discussions, some other Senn fans simply could/would not believe my observations about that model. I just told them that they're welcome to disagree with me, but try those cans out first and THEN tell me how great they are.

Forum Regular

very old thread but fits my topic-

I just bought a pair of HD580's, and I can safely say they have the best sound I have ever heard from headphones-and more or less equal to my speakers as well(JBL Control 5). I am driving them with a sony receiver, they reach a comfortable listening volume with the receiver volume at about 9o-clock and the computer volume controls about halfway. I also want to mention that with a second generation iPod nano, I can get a fairly loud sound out without an external amp. According to what I've read, I thought they would produce a whisper with the iPod at full blast! Very detailed, smooth frequency responce from the lowest frequencies I could want all the way up. I would recommend them to anyone-am still waiting to see how(if) the sound changes after a breakin period.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information