Forum Regular

Question Denon vs. Yamaha and more Looking for input

Decided to upgrade my "Best Buy system". Considering the Yamaha RX-V2400 and the Denon 3805. Anyone have pros and cons, recommendations?
    Also looking at, and listening to, Klipsch R25 and R35 set ups vs. Polk Rti10 and Rti12 set ups.
    Also The 400 DVD changer from Sony-any real difference between the first one and the new ES version? As far as quality is this a good choice? How do you fit that sucker in an entertainment center? it's 21" deep!
    I have Mitsubishi 70" rear projection. Plasmas aren't big enough for me yet
    I found most of the above at brandnamez.com for great deals. Anyone have good or bad experience with them?
    Thanks for any advice.

Forum Regular
    If you're looking into spending that kind of money on speakers, don't get the Polk Audio Rti series. Yamaha RX-V2400 and Denon 3805 are probably both good choices. I'm not very familiar with Denon, so I can't say. But you seem very serious about home theater. I'd seriously look into Definitive Technology speakers. They're much higher quality than the polks. Polks used to be good, but their leading engineers/designers left a long time ago and started Definitve Technology. I'd look into the Power Monitor series. Either 500,700, or 900's. They'll probably kill the polks in bass (especially the 900's) and make your receiver sound much more like it was meant to be. That's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrymac
    Decided to upgrade my "Best Buy system". Considering the Yamaha RX-V2400 and the Denon 3805. Anyone have pros and cons, recommendations?
    Also looking at, and listening to, Klipsch R25 and R35 set ups vs. Polk Rti10 and Rti12 set ups.
    Also The 400 DVD changer from Sony-any real difference between the first one and the new ES version? As far as quality is this a good choice? How do you fit that sucker in an entertainment center? it's 21" deep!
    I have Mitsubishi 70" rear projection. Plasmas aren't big enough for me yet
    I found most of the above at brandnamez.com for great deals. Anyone have good or bad experience with them?
    Thanks for any advice.

Forum Regular

Yamaha

Hi,

I have owned Yamaha amplifiers for almost 10 years now - I am on my second one. The first Yamaha was an early pro-logic model that lasted 7 years (actually, it is still going strong, I just don't own it anymore, sold it to a friend of mine, which I think speaks volumes) and then I upgraded to a used DSP-A1, their top of the line (at the time)integrated amplifier.
    I won't comment on sound as that is up to your tastes to decide but from a build quality perspective, I don't think you can beat Yamaha. My amp is built like a tank and I have had no problems with it. I also really like their DSP functions and find some of them very useful for movies and I even like some of the concert hall setting for certain CD's. I do not find the DSP modes gimmicky at all (well maybe some of them) and some of them are very natural sounding to my ears anyway. Unlike some I have heard, the Yamaha DSP's can actually transport the listener to a live venue.

Hope that helps a little.

Yam

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrymac
    Thanks for any advice.
    I have a Denon 2803. I love it. Granted, it's my first foray into 5.1/7.1 from 2-channel, but, aside from a somewhat cryptic manual, I'm giddy as a schoolgirl.

Originally, I was planning on the Yamaha RX-V740 (two steps down from the 2400) but that sorta became obsolete and underpowered in the shopping/comparing process. You know how that goes.

Somehow I ended up with the Denon. Even compared to the Yamaha 1400, I think Denon has better/more accurate power ratings, particularly into multiple channels driven, so that was a factor. I knew I'd never use all those DSPs. I like the look and rep of Yamahas (having owned one of their pre-amps back in my 2-channel days), but I read lots of things (on forums, and in the press) that favored the Denon, so I went that way.

At the level you're considering, you probably can't go wrong either way.

I can't really comment on your speaker considerations. I listened to some Polks RTi40s(?) but wasn't really wowed. Again, coming at it with 15-year-old perceptions of speaker brands, all I "knew" was basically JBL, Klipsch, and Polk. Having researched and audtioned lots of speakers now, I'd recommend Cambridge Soundworks (my new system), Axiom, and Paradigm. And there are plenty more; read the boards for suggestions. If you're really wanting to upgrade from the usual Best Buy offerings, you gotta get beyond the brands they carry, IMO. It's a lousy place to audition speakers anyway.

HTH,

Roger

The 3805 runs about $200 more than the 2400, and you need to supply your own microphone if you want to take advantage of the room calibration function on the 3805. Between the two, the Denon has slightly more power and uses more expensive DACs in the digital processing section, and with its room calibration feature, you can manually tweak the parametric EQ settings. The Yamaha costs less and from what I've gathered, has more advanced automatic functions with the room calibration feature.

Also, keep in mind that the 2400 costs $200 more than the 1400, and aside from more power in the amp and better multiroom functions, the two receivers are otherwise nearly identical. If you don't think you'll need those functions, then you may not want to pay for them. The differences between the 1400 and the 2400 are much narrower than the difference between the Denon 3805 and the 2803, mostly because the 2803 does not have the parametric room calibrations that the other models have. And at the $800 price point, I would go with the 1400 because of the huge difference that the YPAO parametric room calibration function can potentially have on the overall sound quality.

Thread Information