AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Klipsch vs DefTech?

I am new to this site and my last thread got no responses so I thought I would try a different title. I am trying to create a home theater surround room for both movies and music. I currently have the old Klipsch KG4.2 floors. I also have 2 Klipsch surrounds. My plan is to add a center and a sub. I have to decide between finishing it all out with Klipsch or combining the speakers I own with a DefTech center and sub, one of which I got as a gift. Is there a problem mixing these two lines, would it be better to stick with all Klipsch, or should I try something all together different?

Whatever sounds best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SUESS
    I am new to this site and my last thread got no responses so I thought I would try a different title. I am trying to create a home theater surround room for both movies and music. I currently have the old Klipsch KG4.2 floors. I also have 2 Klipsch surrounds. My plan is to add a center and a sub. I have to decide between finishing it all out with Klipsch or combining the speakers I own with a DefTech center and sub, one of which I got as a gift. Is there a problem mixing these two lines, would it be better to stick with all Klipsch, or should I try something all together different?
    Didn't see that coming, did you?

No one can tell you which is the better route because we don't have your room, gear, preferences, or ears. I can say I wouldn't mix a DT center with Klipsch mains because the timbre won't be cohesive across the front stage. Seriously, it won't even be close.

Obviously, the cheapest route is to get a Klipsch center that closely matches your mains and be done with it. You don't say anything about NOT liking your current system so why switch to DT? Now, if you have a problem with you sound, that's something altogether different and then I'd start listening to a LOT of different gear to figure out what you actually do like. Don't stop at DefTech just because you got a speaker for free. There's nothing wrong with 'em, just realize you have a ton of choices.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Forum Regular
    you could always sell off your unwanted speakers. try audiogon.com , on the other hand i have always found that unwanted speakers make great re-gifts.
    by what you say do i understand correctly that you have both a DT center and a sub? if so, the sub would not be such a problem integrating into your system. but as topspeed mentioned, you definitely dont want to be mixing your center with your mains. if anything is true in audiophile land its that your front 3 speakers (center, left, right) need to be matching, and this not only applies to the brand, but many times to the specific series within the brands line-up.

Thread Information