Forum Regular

Question need advice selecting DVD Player (up to $500)

I just got a Toshiba 50" widescreen High Definition TV and need help selecting a DVD player. I already have a decent surround sound home theater system and am planning to upgrade considerably over the next few years (to NAD or similar quality processors and separate amps, etc) I currently have a really cheap non-progressive DVD player.

I'm willing to spend up to $500 for the DVD player. I'd like to have DVD-Audio as well. I'd like it to serve as an excellent CD player, and look the best on a 50" TV with progressive scan. I want this player to be the first "permanent" piece to an entry level true hi-fi system. Do you have any suggestions? Some players offer video upconversion. Is that an good?

Thanks!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

The biggest improvment

Quote Originally Posted by stevos2005
    I just got a Toshiba 50" widescreen High Definition TV and need help selecting a DVD player. I already have a decent surround sound home theater system and am planning to upgrade considerably over the next few years (to NAD or similar quality processors and separate amps, etc) I currently have a really cheap non-progressive DVD player.

I'm willing to spend up to $500 for the DVD player. I'd like to have DVD-Audio as well. I'd like it to serve as an excellent CD player, and look the best on a 50" TV with progressive scan. I want this player to be the first "permanent" piece to an entry level true hi-fi system. Do you have any suggestions? Some players offer video upconversion. Is that an good?

Thanks!
    Is going to be the switch to a progressive scan DVD player. DVD-Audio is also a big plus. There are several All-in-one players, like the Pioneer 563. While a great bargain, I prefer a better built unit. I'm using a JVC with DVD-Audio capabilities. It also has digital zoom, and pan, along with bass managment, and other interesting features that let you get the most out of your DVD's.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information