Forum Regular

nasty sub hum resolved

Hi,

Several weeks ago I posted a thread about an extremely loud hum that would intermittantly eminate from my powered subwoofer, sometimes in the dead of night, waking up the family. I swapped out the sub for another one and changed the LFE cable and the problem remained. Anyway, I had an electrician friend over to see if he could help. First we hooked everything up to an Adcom line conditioner and powered up the system. The hum persisted. Next we used a 50-foot extension cord to plug the sub into another circuit, to rule out an electrical problem in the room. The hum persisted. Finally, he moved the sub several feet out from the corner, where it had resided behind my 32-inch JVC TV and... the loud 60-cycle hum disappeared. The sub is now sitting in the opposite corner of the room behind a couch and behaving itself. Can anyone explain this fix? Could it have been some kind of interference between the sub and TV being so close to one another? Although my main speakers are set to operate in "large" mode, no hum ever eminated from them -- just from the subwoofer. Thanks in advance.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Dave
    Hi,

Several weeks ago I posted a thread about an extremely loud hum that would intermittantly eminate from my powered subwoofer, sometimes in the dead of night, waking up the family. I swapped out the sub for another one and changed the LFE cable and the problem remained. Anyway, I had an electrician friend over to see if he could help. First we hooked everything up to an Adcom line conditioner and powered up the system. The hum persisted. Next we used a 50-foot extension cord to plug the sub into another circuit, to rule out an electrical problem in the room. The hum persisted. Finally, he moved the sub several feet out from the corner, where it had resided behind my 32-inch JVC TV and... the loud 60-cycle hum disappeared. The sub is now sitting in the opposite corner of the room behind a couch and behaving itself. Can anyone explain this fix? Could it have been some kind of interference between the sub and TV being so close to one another? Although my main speakers are set to operate in "large" mode, no hum ever eminated from them -- just from the subwoofer. Thanks in advance.
    It's good to hear the problem is gone, no idea what could have caused that. Just wondering when you exchanged your ps1000 did you think maybe just maybe I should trade up to the ps1200 or even the pw2200. The reason I ask is that sometimes it is hard to show restraint with this hobby.

Forum Regular

PS-1000 impressions

Hi,

I just purchased the PS-1000v4 about a month ago. I have a large sunken family room (13 by 24) that opens up into a huge kichen, dining room and living room with 14-foot-high vaulted ceilings. I did think about getting the PS-1200, but restrained myself because I was buying a TV at the same time. Also, I was impressed at how much improved the latest version of the PS-1000 is with music, being much tighter than the version 2 I owned a few years back. I wasn't sure that the PS-1200 would be as tight for music, but maybe it is. My son had Finding Nemo on the DVD last night and the whole house was shaking. The PS-1000 is more than enough for me. I was originally going to run another powered sub I had with the PS-1000 but quickly decided that would be overkill and sold the other sub to a friend. Haven't heard the PS-2200, but I imagine it would be even better than the PS series. Can't afford to find out. Cheers.

Thread Information