Thread: speaker help

Forum Regular

speaker help

Right now i have older polk rm5000 series sat/sub system-non powered sub.Just upgraded my receiver to yamaha 1300. So im wondering if i should sell my speaker system and start over, or just buy a new powered sub to add to the system?? My room is in the basement, size is 20 x 15 two door openings. Have a limited budget of about $400.00 to 500.00 thanks for any help! I listen to bith movies and music.
    Last edited by madmax1; 05-02-2004 at 12:18 PM. Reason: needed to add music and movies

I would keep everything you have for now. Listen to your set up with your new receiver for a couple of months. Listen critically and try to determine what areas of sound you can improve. And then when you have the funds you can upgrade in that weak spot. You can do this one piece at a time as money permits until you are satisfied. Then sell what you don't want.
    As an example: I listened to my speakers for a few months. When I realized I was missing the edge to rock guitar that I like. So I shopped around for a bookshelf speakers that could fill this gap in the treble that my other speakers weren't providing.

Well you could use the subout on your yammie to the tape in on the old amp. Then run the left or right speaker to the sub. Then in your yammie, select the crossover. This way your new receiver does the low level filtering so that only low notes get passed to the sub. IMO, that if your old amp is not at least 75watts, then I would opt for a newer powered sub.

Thread Information