AR Newbie Registered Member

creating 1/4" cables for my Podium Pro Audio Studio series speakers

Hello, Yes I'm a "Newbie" so I'm liable to make a mistake or two so feel free to let me know.

I have acquired 2 stackable or floor speakers. They are Podium Pro Audio Studio Series. Presently I have 2 15 foot cables which require the ends to be put into the "clamp" style which are the type that have lots of small wires within the cable and they tend to get "mashed" over time. There are also 1/4" jacks on the back directly under the "clamp" style connections. I would like to get these cables adapted with the 1/4" connections and have new 25' cables created with the 1/4" connectivity.

Any suggestions where to get this done?

I know my stereo/electronics jargon is very limited so I hope I've described this o.k.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jnulr View Post
    Hello, Yes I'm a "Newbie" so I'm liable to make a mistake or two so feel free to let me know.

I have acquired 2 stackable or floor speakers. They are Podium Pro Audio Studio Series. Presently I have 2 15 foot cables which require the ends to be put into the "clamp" style which are the type that have lots of small wires within the cable and they tend to get "mashed" over time. There are also 1/4" jacks on the back directly under the "clamp" style connections. I would like to get these cables adapted with the 1/4" connections and have new 25' cables created with the 1/4" connectivity.

Any suggestions where to get this done?

I know my stereo/electronics jargon is very limited so I hope I've described this o.k.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim
    Hello, Jim. Welcome to AR Forums.

Well I think understand what you're saying. First, I'd like to establish that the wires you are referring to are standard, two-strand wire where one strand is implicitly '+' and the other '-'. Also, let's establish that what you mean is that each speaker has two "clamp" style connectors which would be for '+' and '-' signals coming from your amplifier via the wires; each "clamp" grabs one bare, braided +or- wire.

There would be no trick splicing your two 15' wires in single, longer wire -- what is important is keep track of which is the '+' and which the '-' wire. Heat shrinkable insulator tubes can be used to cover each strand of wire at the splice. The new, single wire can then be joint to a 1/4" MONO phone plug connector. Phone plug connectors had both '+' and '-' connectors. N.B. that the tip of the phone plug is for the '+' while the "jacket" or rearward section is for the '-' connection. If you make robust splices and phone plug joins, respecting the '+' and '-', you should have no problems.

Mono phone plug connector, disassembled ...

Heat shrinkable insulator tubes ...

Thread Information