Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dragos Andreescu

Thread: Speaker choice/live concert

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Speaker choice/live concert

I recently had the pleasure of attending a Regina Carter concert in a hall to which I am familiar. What an incredible concert and evening of new music. I bought one of her "Southern Comfort" cd's and was anxious to hear it at home.

Wow the tones of her violin were not as I expected with the speakers I was currently using. Time to switch speakers until I matched the tones I so enjoyed. I found a match of tone from speakers I own.

The Focal 806V's were the closest in tone to the violin I heard hours before. The other instruments sounded natural with the exception of the drums. The drummer was amazing and that percussive nature would be hard to reproduce the impact of the drum kit with small stand mount speakers.

It was a benefit to hear music and then home to select speakers that match that tone. The 806V's produce the music as I heard it. It is a joy every time I drop a cd or lp into the mix.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

It's great to hear someone really appreciating their equipment, and especially when they can relate it to live performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    It's great to hear someone really appreciating their equipment, and especially when they can relate it to live performance.

To be able to listen to the music within a half an hour from the show on your stereo was very telling. Regina played her violin with such warmth and when the violin sounded thin it was time to try another speaker. It turns out that the Focal 806Vs reproduced the violin as I had just heard it of course within the confines of recorded vs live music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I recently had the pleasure of attending a Regina Carter concert in a hall to which I am familiar. What an incredible concert and evening of new music. I bought one of her "Southern Comfort" cd's and was anxious to hear it at home.

Wow the tones of her violin were not as I expected with the speakers I was currently using. Time to switch speakers until I matched the tones I so enjoyed. I found a match of tone from speakers I own.

The Focal 806V's were the closest in tone to the violin I heard hours before. The other instruments sounded natural with the exception of the drums. The drummer was amazing and that percussive nature would be hard to reproduce the impact of the drum kit with small stand mount speakers.

It was a benefit to hear music and then home to select speakers that match that tone. The 806V's produce the music as I heard it. It is a joy every time I drop a cd or lp into the mix.
    Checked out a few tracks and liked what I heard. I am currently downloading "Southern Comfort" from HD Tracks. Good job JM.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

AR Newbie Registered Member Dragos Andreescu's Avatar
    I live dowtown of a medium sized European city where music schools reside, alongside street musicians which form single or small numbered bands. Sometimes I hear sopranos tuning their voices from an open window, for an upcoming show (the National Theatre is also close by). I am always struck by their purity of tone. Real music is so simple. Coming home, it is always a pleasure to put on a small cello ensemble or a single violin. Music is life, as it should be.
    Mr Peabody and blackraven like this.
    AN-CD3
    Kondo M7 derivative
    Beard P100 Signature
    Audio Innovations 200 Shishido Mod
    Yamaha NS-1000m Special Modification
    Shishido Silver& Copper wire
    Goldmund cones

Suspended
    Yeah JM, since our local shop began carrying a wider range of Focal I've gotten to hear them quite a bit. In fact, I got a quick listen to the new Sopra. It really wasn't enough to comment much and they were a bit too close to a side wall. From what I heard they were a smoother more refined Focal sound. I have come to like the Focal sound. I forgot Focal's higher line but I heard the Scalla and that's the model that got me excited, they were really lively and fun. Of course, those are not exactly in our budget . They do have a $3500.00 set that was matched with the Devaliet 400. The 400 had Devaliet's speaker matching software, the combo was excellent and whatever to attribute it to, the Focal's sounded way better than a $3500.00 set should.

I have a new appreciation of my Focal 806V's. Hearing an artist in concert and then hearing them at home minutes after the concert is quite revealing. Matching the warmth and tone of the violin you just heard to your assortment of speakers and the Focal is the match. The confidence of your speakers producing what you just heard may be the reason they now sound right on other types of music.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information