Anyone else dumping their jewel cases?

OK, so I copied that title from another forum, but just curious as to what you guys are doing to store your CDs. I know most of the people here just have them ripped to the computer, but there are still folks out there like me who have all the stuff: CDs, artwork and jewel cases, taking up sh!tloads of room.

I'm torn between leaving things as they are, or taking all the discs out of the cases and just storing CDs/artwork and recycling the cases. Would sure take up a lot less room, and I could stop paying that annoying storage fee.

But another part of me thinks I'd regret it at some point down the road, and wish I hadn't degraded my collection like that. Plus, there's the cost of getting sleeves and strong (plastic?) boxes to put the sleeved discs in. Boxes that mice can't nibble their way into. Yes, I have mice out in the barn.

Any thoughts, solutions?
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 09-28-2015 at 03:37 AM.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I have an attic. Whenever the shelf fills up with newer disks, they get boxed and in plastic bins and put up there. If space was a problem I'd probably do what you suggest. Maybe get a bunch of slip sleeves, or folios. Must be able to get those CD folios real cheap now.

The new Galactic is decent as per usual.

n0
    TCA ATT GGA

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff View Post
    I have an attic. Whenever the shelf fills up with newer disks, they get boxed and in plastic bins and put up there. If space was a problem I'd probably do what you suggest. Maybe get a bunch of slip sleeves, or folios. Must be able to get those CD folios real cheap now.

The new Galactic is decent as per usual.

n0
    Ahh, the new Galactic. I have a copy, but haven't really listened to it, yet. SCANDALOUS!! If I want funk, I put on the latest Rock Candy Funk Party, Groove Is King. Now THAT is a funky-@ss mofo!

Cheggit out, YECH gives it 2 thumbs up.
    Rock Candy Funk Party - Groove is King

I have given the matter a good deal of thought, but so far have done nothing other than putting the jewel case in storage cartons.

Personally I wouldn't want to pitch the booklets which means that much space. One would need to provide sleeves for the CDs and also some provision for the booklets, at out-of-pocket costs. The end result I'd guess would be no more that 50%. So far I haven't seen this as worthwhile.

Suspended
    Send them all to me.

The ones you buy now in bulk suck compared to all the nice heavy duty ones you all are scrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Send them all to me.

The ones you buy now in bulk suck compared to all the nice heavy duty ones you all are scrapping.
    But the heavy duty ones are the problem. My question is whether to dump the cases and just store the CDs and liner notes in big plastic storage boxes, eliminating most of the weight and bulk. I suppose I should mention at some point these are CDs I have put away because I rarely listen to them. The ones I listen to are in the house, in original cases, on shelves.

If you're serious, I'd be glad to box up the good ones and ship them to you, IF I decide to go through with this cockamamie scheme! As Feanor noted, there would be more costs involved to get sleeves and boxes, but as I'm paying $35 a month for a 5x5 storage unit, I'd be better off in the long run.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 09-28-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Thread Information