Thread: Pioneer SX-770

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Pioneer SX-770

Thought I shake up the dust and tumbleweeds in this forum by posting a somewhat uncommon Pioneer receiver. I believe based on the serial number this one dates from 1970. Extremely clean unit with just a nick in the rear of the wood top and some id number lightly etched in to the top by the original owner. Not a hint of corrosion on the inside just a minimal amount of dust. Will need to replace one of the fuse lamps but other than that it was plug and play ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pioneer SX-770-img_1236-2-.jpg   Pioneer SX-770-img_1232-2-.jpg  
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

That Pioneer SX-777 is a really nice old unit. It's not quite typical of the equipment of the day which was more often "silver" (aluminum-colored). What is typical, though, is
    • Rotary knobs or toggle switches rather than buttons, (mechanical or electronic)
    • Analog radio tuning
    • Inside, very little or no large-scale integration of electronic components.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    That Pioneer SX-777 is a really nice old unit. It's not quite typical of the equipment of the day which was more often "silver" (aluminum-colored). What is typical, though, is
    • Rotary knobs or toggle switches rather than buttons, (mechanical or electronic)
    • Analog radio tuning
    • Inside, very little or no large-scale integration of electronic components.
    Yeah it is a bit uncommon for the time which along with the $10 price tag and its excellent condition was why I grabbed it. Have been running it with my Rogers LS3/6's and they match up very well. The Rogers are 16 Ohm and 25 wpc max so they're right in the wheelhouse of the Pioneer.Might have to A/B it with my Sansui 7000 when I get the 7000 back from the shop.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

That's a sweet find for $10.00. The old '70s receivers are gradually becoming scarcer -- and the high-end ones more expensive.

I love look of the classic receivers; admittedly the silver-faced ones the best, but I didn't own one in the '70s. My first setup consisted of Dynaco's PAT-4, ST-80, and FM-5 plus a Lenco TT and Shure cartridge. I've owned separates ever since, including a couple of integrated amps but never a receiver in my main system. For a brief while I owned a Marantz 2252B but I sold it for lack of room ...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    That's a sweet find for $10.00. The old '70s receivers are gradually becoming scarcer -- and the high-end ones more expensive.

I love look of the classic receivers; admittedly the silver-faced ones the best, but I didn't own one in the '70s. My first setup consisted of Dynaco's PAT-4, ST-80, and FM-5 plus a Lenco TT and Shure cartridge. I've owned separates ever since, including a couple of integrated amps but never a receiver in my main system. For a brief while I owned a Marantz 2252B but I sold it for lack of room ...

I own Denon and Adcom separate systems but I do have a soft spot for the vintage receivers. As a lot of my past posts show I went a little overboard with a variety of gear since getting back into this hobby. I really only want to keep one vintage receiver which I thought was going to be the Sansui 7000 which is a kissing cousin to the Sansui 8. I have had a couple of vintage Marantz', Kenwoods, Pioneers and a few others but I just seem to prefer Sansuis.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Yesterday found a pair of Minimus 7w's with the walnut "cabinets" in great shape so paired it up with the SX-770 so I could listen to the radio in the early morning without waking up the wife. Not spectacular but hard to beat for my $15 cost.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pioneer SX-770-img_1310.jpg  
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700