Forum Regular

SVS VS HSU VS Top Subs

Has anyone made a meaningful comparison of the SVS and HSU subwoofers against other high-end subwoofers such as various Velodyne subs or the Paradigm Servo 15? The SVS is raved over on this site, but so are the JBL speakers I auditioned at Best Buy that sounded rancid to my ears. I am looking for a quick, low sub to go with my Studio 20s, which already have impressive bass extention. I am not a fan of loud boomy bass. I want a musical subwoofer first and a HT sub second. Any observations or recommendations would be appreciated.

Forum Regular
    What is your budget for the sub? Are you based out of the US or Canada? What are the dimensions of the room? Any openings into other rooms?

As for comparisons, I have a 20-39CSi and an VMPS Large Subwoofer (basically an older version of the New Original Subwoofer). The VMPS is more musical and louder for HT. Then again, it has an active 12" plus a passive 15" whereas the 20-39 only has a 12". Both subwoofers are passive. Still, I got the VMPS for a phenominal price and would be happy with it. Still am. If I could only keep one, though, I would keep the VMPS. That being said, only go with a passive sub if you have something other than your primary receiver readily available to power it with.

If you desire a sealed subwoofer that is relatively inexpensive, the Adire Audio Rava should fit the bill. One that is a bit more expensive but will not do below 25Hz well is the Onix Rocket UFW-10. If you have a medium to large size room and can afford more, look at the SVS PB2-Plus or Pardigm Servo 15.

Both the JBL E20s and E90s impressed me but I wouldn't buy either as both, IMO, fall short of the nOrhs I currently possess not to mention the Rockets.

Forum Regular
    What is your budget for the sub? Are you based out of the US or Canada? What are the dimensions of the room? Any openings into other rooms?

The absolute maximum I would spend on a sub would be about $1500. I'm in the U.S. and have a medium sized (25'x15'x10') listening room with 3 standard door openings.

If you desire a sealed subwoofer that is relatively inexpensive, the Adire Audio Rava should fit the bill. One that is a bit more expensive but will not do below 25Hz well is the Onix Rocket UFW-10. If you have a medium to large size room and can afford more, look at the SVS PB2-Plus or Pardigm Servo 15.

I would like a powererd sub with good low range, but not boomy. I have been looking closely at the Servo 15 and the SVS powered subs as they seem to fit the bill. I have never heard of Adire Audio or Onix. I'll look into it and see if there are any dealers nearby. I'm curious if your recommendation changes knowing more about the room, price, etc. I really want to know if there is any significant difference between a cylindrical sub and a box sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbro
    I really want to know if there is any significant difference between a cylindrical sub and a box sub.[/FONT]
    I have read, though I don't have the personal experience to confirm it, that subs with tube enclosures are more articulate.

Also, when I bought my sub about a year ago, I was also comparing Hsu and SVS (their box subs, in my case). Of the comments I could find on the net from people who had directly compared both lines, several stated that the Hsu's were more articulate, not one said that SVS's were.

FWIW, I ended up getting a Hsu VTF-2, and it blends with my Studio 20's nicely.

Forum Regular
    another one you may want to try is REL, for musically right subs.

Forum Regular
    P.s.
    you have $1500 to spend on a sub? then i would definitely consider auditioning REL if what you are looking for is a musicallly coherent Sub. While HSU is very good for the price, it is exactly that: good for the price! (avg: $350-$700)

Forum Regular
    For $1,500 I would go with either a SVS PB2-Plus, Paradigm Servo 15, or VMPS Larger Subwoofer with Megawoofers and soundcoat options (should be $914 delivered) plus a Crown CE1000 amp for $449 delivered. Rocket will have their upcoming UFW-12 which should go in the $1,200 or so price range and be a worthy contender (perhaps go with dual UFW-10s for $999 plus shipping and upgrade later - full purchase price should be applied to the upgrade if I'm not mistaken). All these plus others are worthy options for your consideration. Much like SVS and HSU, Onix is factory direct though someone in your area may have a UFW-10 they are willing to let you audition.

Cool $1500 max

"so are the JBL speakers I auditioned at Best Buy that sounded rancid to my ears"

I have some JBL subs, and they're definitely not rancid. However, if I were audtioning speakers at Best Buy, I'd probably find the JBLs or any other speaker there to be inadequate as well.

My JBL PS1400 subs (I have 2) have 14" drivers in cast aluminum frames coupled with 400 Watt amps. In my opinion, they're both musical and dynamic at the same time. They give me all the punch I need when watching movies, yet they are even better when listening to music.

You might wonder why I need two if it's such a great sub? Well, I've had two subwoofer systems for a long time, not merely due to the size/volume of my room, but also for the refinement and power that having two subs brings to the equation.

Actually, the PS1400 is the first active (powered) sub I've purchased, having preferred passive subs run by amps of my own choosing. Some of the best were Fosgate Audionics THX subs. The FA active subs that replaced them are not of the same caliber.

I listened to a lot of subs prior to my purchase, including trips to the shops or factories of some of the notable makers here in CA. The PS1400 is not the best sub in the world, but IMO it's the best at the $1500 price point. Actually, it's $1599, but can be had on the street for as low as $1199.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb Thanks, all.

After much auditioning, I decided to go with the Paradigm Seismic 10. It's very similar to the Velodyne SPL series. I loved the Servo 15 and the Signature version even more, however I have no desire to have something that large in my home. The Seismic 10 is about one fourth the size and more than adequate. I only got it over a Velodyne because of more familiarity with the Paradigm name. I noticed no distinguishable difference between the subs in the store. I got the Seismic 10 as opposed to the 12 because it seemed better suited for music. The 12 seemed to go a little too strong for my taste. I prefer a sub to barely be noticed and only extend where my mains cannot. I've never been a huge fan of loud bass, so consider this in my evaluations. The Seismic goes low and clean, but I have not tested it in my room to tell you how low and how clean. Perhaps someday I will do that. In the mean time, I'm happy with my selection and I appreciate all of your input. I attempted to audition the mentioned subs when a dealer was present nearby. Size was an issue in this case. Some of the subs auditioned were superior, but just too large to seriously consider. Thanks again and cheers.

Smile Congratulations!

May you get many long years of enjoyment.

Fan
    Nice choice and better for music than the SVS.

Now that you've got the sub, the best thing to do now is to optimize the setup. Take your time to properly place the sub and set the levels, crossover settings, phase, etc. Use a test DVD and SPL meter to do it right. I would also suggest doing some frequency response measurements using a SPL meter and test tones. This is because in the low frequencies, your room acoustics will have just as big an influence over how the bass sounds as what subwoofer you go with.

In a small to medium sized room, you will likely get at least one large room-induced peak, and simply eliminating those peaks will go a long way towards letting you correctly set the overall bass level and get a fuller and better integrated sound from the subwoofer. Things like bass traps and parametric equalizers are very commonly recommended tools to help tune your subwoofer to the room acoustics.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question

"Nice choice and better for music than the SVS."

Why no music love for SVS? I have a PCi and have never found it lacking in any way when called-in for stereo duties.

Forum Regular

Soundbro...

Soundbro, let us know how the Seismic is after you have in calibrated and listened to it a bit. Curious since it is a newer model sub from Paradigm.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundbro
    After much auditioning, I decided to go with the Paradigm Seismic 10. It's very similar to the Velodyne SPL series. I loved the Servo 15 and the Signature version even more, however I have no desire to have something that large in my home. The Seismic 10 is about one fourth the size and more than adequate. I only got it over a Velodyne because of more familiarity with the Paradigm name. I noticed no distinguishable difference between the subs in the store. I got the Seismic 10 as opposed to the 12 because it seemed better suited for music. The 12 seemed to go a little too strong for my taste. I prefer a sub to barely be noticed and only extend where my mains cannot. I've never been a huge fan of loud bass, so consider this in my evaluations. The Seismic goes low and clean, but I have not tested it in my room to tell you how low and how clean. Perhaps someday I will do that. In the mean time, I'm happy with my selection and I appreciate all of your input. I attempted to audition the mentioned subs when a dealer was present nearby. Size was an issue in this case. Some of the subs auditioned were superior, but just too large to seriously consider. Thanks again and cheers.
    I know you are happy with your purchase right now, but believe you me down the road, maybe one month or one year you will want just a little more and you will wish you bought the seismic 12. It happens to all of us, you will doubt your decision and you will wish that you bucked up a few more dollars. Just don't tell me I told you so. Not that what I say means anything to you but I am on my third sub and I am finally happy. I learned the hard way.

Thread Information