I know there's at least one Dire Straits/MK fan here...

...so pick up the latest issue of Mojo mazagine, the one with Brian Wilson of the cover (unfortunately), and enjoy the phat interview with Mr. Knoffler.

Careful, I'm seeing that there may be alternative covers with Blur. Why, oh why couldn't I have gotten THAT one???

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzkyWDU4OA...VQQDq/$_35.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images  

130 views, not ONE response! God, I love this place, it makes me feel so independent.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well Finch there are at least two of us.
    Dire Straits music is great and is always well engineered. I have said it before but I think "Brothers in Arms" is a great reference recording for testing any system.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Dire Straits music is great and is always well engineered. I have said it before but I think "Brothers in Arms" is a great reference recording for testing any system.
    I like half of it but wish MK would just play and not sing so much.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I like half of it but wish MK would just play and not sing so much.
    Of all the great guitarists who endeavor to sing nothing MK has ever done is as off-putting as Joe Satriani, Steve Hackett or Steve Howe (when they sing).
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    Of all the great guitarists who endeavor to sing nothing MK has ever done is as off-putting as Joe Satriani, Steve Hackett or Steve Howe (when they sing).
    I agree with most of that, I just find MK to have no range and just about everything he sings sounds the same to me.

There's the (main) difference between you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    ...so pick up the latest issue of Mojo mazagine, the one with Brian Wilson of the cover (unfortunately), and enjoy the phat interview with Mr. Knoffler.

Careful, I'm seeing that there may be alternative covers with Blur. Why, oh why couldn't I have gotten THAT one???

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzkyWDU4OA...VQQDq/$_35.JPG
    I picked it up because Brian Wilson was on the cover. Sorry, but in the annals of rock history, he will be revered quite a bit more than MK could ever hope to be. Not to say MK wasn't 'good', but he will never match the genius of Brian Wilson, nor the influence.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    I'll give you my DS moment, back when they first burst onto the music scene (in the US), their song Sultans of Swing was their first big hit and I recall I had a job as a driver and I would listen to that song over and over, I could not get enough. The guitar in it still amazes me, it is just so sweet and different than anyone else. Another huge fav is the song Brothers in Arms, it always reminds me of the Kenneth Branagh movie Henry V for some reason...

Suspended
    If I had to pick a single favorite, it would be One World from Bros in Arms.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Yep - agree with that, particularly the tracks Brothers in Arms, Money for Nothing and So Far Away. SUCH epic staging and detail on that recording.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    I picked it up because Brian Wilson was on the cover. Sorry, but in the annals of rock history, he will be revered quite a bit more than MK could ever hope to be. Not to say MK wasn't 'good', but he will never match the genius of Brian Wilson, nor the influence.
    I don't actually think that's true.
    Mark Knopfler is almost always mentioned in lists of best guitarists, and is known for having quite an unusual style of finger picking the electric strings.
    I studied music for 5 years and I'd say in that time, Mark Knopfler's name came up more than Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys.
    You might get that perspective from the States, where BW would be mentioned more but in the rest of the world I don't think it would be that one sided, and I don't even like in the UK.
    Can you imagine the following for someone like Mark Knopfler in the country he's actually from?

Thread Information