Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Peabody

Thread: Tough job. wink

Suspended

Tough job. wink

A friend is still working on an audio room, he had a set of KEF Ref 3's sitting in the box until it was done. I sort of half teasing offered to break them in for him. Well... he agreed! So now where my F52's were, sits the KEF Ref 3's, gloss white and believe it or not look really nice.

I was surprised at how good they sound right out of the box, it will be interesting to see where break in goes. They have a natural and detailed sound, I find them very engaging. Joke may be on me when I have to give them back. Hard to compare to the F52's, the sounds are different. Maybe more will come to mind as I get more time with them.
    JohnMichael likes this.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I look forward to more of your impressions between the two very different approaches to speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    I'm letting the Ref 3's play durin the day and trying to get a bit of listening in evenings. At this point the bass drivers seemed to add some bloom and the treble doesn't seem all that extended giving a warm presentation with my Pass gear and to my ears makes the mids a bit recessed. They are still a good sounding speaker but the characters I mentioned are taking them more away from my taste. Maybe I'm just used to the F52 flat response, but I do appreciate how there is no overlap in frequencies. KEF did put some magic in the Reference series making them a very soulful sounding speaker. I'd love to hear a pair driven by Conrad Johnson, warm or not this combo could possibly carry you away.

Sounds like my kind of speaker.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    To become an independent person might be an excellent option for individuals in their job program who seek greater freedom and independence. So you may become the master of https://onlinefreelancejobs.net/access-programming-job/ spare time while you work for us and get as much work you can do with your family and friends without any burden on your personal time.

Thread Information