Wiring conundrum: How do I hook up a tape player?

I just purchased a Yamaha KX-1200u cassette deck and while I'm waiting for it's refurb to be completed (bands, tires, azimuth and alignment), it occurred to me I have no idea how to hook this up to my 'table! Back in the old days, your pre-amp/receiver had a tape in/tape out, a feature sorely lacking in modern equipment. It's literally been decades since I've recorded to tape. That said, the specs on this deck are amazing and it seems a shame to not take advantage of it.

Sooo....do I run the ic's from the phono amp directly to the Yammie's tape-in and then run the tape out to the AVR? If so, doesn't adding the extra connection compromise the sound when I'm just listening to the 'table?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I use the preamp out from my int. amp to my cd recorder/player and then the output of the recorder into one of the source input RCA's. Enables me to record or just play a cd.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks, JM. My pre-outs from my AVR are going to my 2 channel amplifier.

Thread Information