elt
    AR Newbie Registered Member

In Ceiling Speakers

I am going to buy a pair of In Ceiling Speakers, because that is the only option for the bedroom. Room is 25X17, 8' ceiling, 9' in the tray and hardwood floor. It will be used for records and CD's, no home theater. I have been looking at Polk 90 RT 3 way speakers and JBL LS360C 3 way speakers. I am asking for advice and recommendations.
    Thank You

Suspended
    What your are looking at are decent brands, I'd suspect the JBL would have more bass emphasis. I'm using Revel in-walls and happy with those, they have different levels or series. The Revel I'd say are neutral and accurate, they sounded very different with Onkyo than they do now with my current Marantz. I'm using the series that begin "5".

Charm Thai™
    I really like the Mirage Omnican in ceiling series. They sound great a do a good job of filling up the room compared to other in ceiling speakers I have heard over the years. Now because of the tweeter design they stick out a little bit from the ceiling so they aren't flush.

Unfortunately i haven't heard either JBL or Polk option you mentioned.

elt
    [QUOTE=The Revel I'd say are neutral and accurate, they sounded very different with Onkyo than they do now with my current Marantz. I'm using the series that begin "5".[/QUOTE]

I will eventually be moving the Onkyo to the bedroom, is sounding very different, good or bad?

Suspended
    It's good the Revel can reflect the character of the different receivers without imparting their own sound. Which sounds better would be preference, the Onkyo had more of a controlled deep bass and a bit brighter where the Marantz hass more of a blume or warmth to the bass with a more natural midrange. I wanted to more emphasis the Revel's neutrality though as the receiver's differences could be auto speaker interpretation or other settings. Both receivers seemed to emprove a great deal in sound after running the auto speaker set up and keeping the setting to "dynamic EQ".

If on a budget I found in the past Onkyo sounds pretty good with Infinity speakers but I haven't heard their speakers in a few years. If you like a warmer sound the Polk might be a good choice, if playing Rock or Pop the JBL might be better, just my opinion. With Onkyo the Revel sounded good but may not give you as much bass as you like, it depends on how powerful your Onkyo is, I was just using the TX-SR515.

The Revel I'd say are neutral and accurate, they sounded very different with Onkyo than they do now with my current Marantz. I'm using the series that begin "5".
    watson

Thread Information