Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnMichael

Thread: Live Concert or At Home?

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

Live Concert or At Home?

As I'm a little behind on my reading, I sat down this morning and had my initial spin of the new Ian Anderson album "Homo Erraticus" and picked up my copy of January's Stereophile. I read the "As We See It" article by Steve Guttenberg with much interest as I feel the same way he does about going to a live show versus listening to recorded music in your own listening room. Just wanted to hear some other posters views on this subject.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

A couple of hours at a live concert is much more fun than a couple of hours at home listening to stereo.

OTOH, concerts, especially by prominent artists, have become very expensive. Most often I can buy 3-6 CDs for the price of a pair of tickets; over the years I may well get more enjoyment out them than from the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    A couple of hours at a live concert is much more fun than a couple of hours at home listening to stereo.

OTOH, concerts, especially by prominent artists, have become very expensive. Most often I can buy 3-6 CDs for the price of a pair of tickets; over the years I may well get more enjoyment out them than from the concert.
    If you read Steve's article you'll realize all the problems and distractions at a live performance. When I was younger, those kind of things didn't bother me as much as they do now. In my younger days with the Sansui receiver, Elac Miracord turntable and Advent speakers, my stereo system couldn't compare to a live performance.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Small venue, relatively unknown band, sane cost, sure!

Rush-type concert hall, Koch-priced tickets, fukc that anymore.

I'm old enough that I have to think about bathroom access these days.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 01-31-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I still love a live show. Small venue and unknown band or large venue and popular band, I love them both. For me, I just love the energy of a live show, the excitement that leads up to the show, and the high I have for a few days after a really good show. And I don't mean a chemically induced high...I don't do that anymore...I mean the afterglow of a great band entertaining me for a few hours, reliving the great moments, and singing the tunes in my head for a couple of days. It's just such a thrill!

Yeah, some shows are expensive. And I've been known to tell people to shut up or put their damn phones down. People can be inconsiderate assholes. But I still get a thrill from seeing a band live that I can't get from a CD.

Suspended
    My wife and I have friends related to John Mellencamp. Several times they invited us to go to concerts including back-stage passes. Most were great fun and very enjoyable especially one at the Alladin in Las Vegas. It was probably the best concert I had ever attended. However going to a live concert is never a guarantee of a good times. Several weeks after the Alladin concert we went to another on the IU campus in Bloomington IN. The sound was so off and bass so loud it was making us sick. We had to leave. Our host offered earplugs, but it still didn't relieve the thumping on our bodies. There was nothing wrong with artists or performance, just the environment. Only proving you may not always have a good concert experience, but your home experience is more controllable. On the upside we were able to meet John, wife, family and band members. He was also nice enough to autograph all my CDs including several CDVs I have.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If there is live music and I am in attendance it is either a classical concert or a musical. Otherwise I would also be home listening to music. In the past I have enjoyed some good music with some good stage shows. Now I am mainly interested in the music and not the show.

I think of live music vs recorded music as I do the difference between a photograph of a scene as opposed to being at the scene. I enjoy looking at my pictures of Paris but I also enjoyed being in Paris. They satisfy different emotions and needs. It is also easier to listen to a record than to wait for the artist to perform in your area much like it is easier and cheaper to look at pictures than to pack up and travel.
    Jack in Wilmington likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    If there is live music and I am in attendance it is either a classical concert or a musical. Otherwise I would also be home listening to music. In the past I have enjoyed some good music with some good stage shows. Now I am mainly interested in the music and not the show.

I think of live music vs recorded music as I do the difference between a photograph of a scene as opposed to being at the scene. I enjoy looking at my pictures of Paris but I also enjoyed being in Paris. They satisfy different emotions and needs. It is also easier to listen to a record than to wait for the artist to perform in your area much like it is easier and cheaper to look at pictures than to pack up and travel.
    Great analogy the way you brought the photo vs live scenery into the mix.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Went to a concert in Sacramento over the weekend. Small club (The Boardwalk, maybe 200 peeps capacity?).

The soundman was the house guy, and he had it up soo freaking loud, everything was all mushed together. We left after the 2nd band it was so painful. Couldn't understand a single lyric, and solos were just mush on top of mush.

I brought earplugs for our group, and volume was still a problem.

Would NOT go back there. And clubs wonder why people don't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Went to a concert in Sacramento over the weekend. Small club (The Boardwalk, maybe 200 peeps capacity?).

The soundman was the house guy, and he had it up soo freaking loud, everything was all mushed together. We left after the 2nd band it was so painful. Couldn't understand a single lyric, and solos were just mush on top of mush.

I'd send them an email and tell them about it. If you get a response, then maybe they care. If you don't, F...um.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

It would be interesting to test the soundman's hearing. I find people with hearing loss set the volume too high and often eq in strange ways. I have a friend who I will not ride in his vehicle due to volume and how he has set the eq.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 02-09-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    It would be interesting to test the soundman's hearing. I find people with hearing loss set the volume to high and often eq in strange ways. I have a friend who I will not ride in his vehicle due to volume and how he has set the eq.
    I have seen Buddy Guy about 5 times over the years. Hearing Protection was always needed and the one time I forgot my cotton, my ears rang for 3 or 4 days.

I have not been to many Electric Concerts with sound quality I would want reproduced on my home system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I'd send them an email and tell them about it. If you get a response, then maybe they care. If you don't, F...um.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about getting in touch with them and letting them know. Thanks for the prompting.

Just went to see Jason Isbell at The Keswick in Glenside, PA. It's basically a big old movie theater and the sound was excellent (as usual). It was a fantastic show and nothing beats a good live performance. I've seen well over 100, and that's with about two decades with very few while raising two kids. I will probably see at least a dozen this year. Oh, check out the ticket prices from 1973 at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columus, MD.

Live Concert or At Home?-merriweather.jpg
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    I live near the Keswick and have been there too many times to count. If the sound is done up properly, it's a great venue. If the sound techs or performers are half deaf, it can be horrid. I have been to both types, including 2 Buddy Guy shows. For most shows there, the last row in the house gives the best sound but at a loss of being close to the show. Many times I sat up front for half a show and then moved to the back row to enjoy the sound.

Thread Information