Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hyfi
  • 1 Post By Feanor

Thread: Krell S-300i vs Momentum int. amp

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Krell S-300i vs Momentum int. amp

As much as I enjoy my Krell S-300i I am wondering about Dan's new Momentum integrated amp for only $45,000. I think it might be a nice step-up in performance. I am sure the Focal's would love it. Of course the number one question is where the hell do I get the money?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

You should take a look at D'agostino gear-

Dan D'Agostino Momentum monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com

D'Agostino | Master Audio Systems | Extraordinary New Creations from the World's Most Famous High-end Audio Designer

I would love to hear a pair of these monoblocks with a CJ GAT preamp or a BAT Rex.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Name:  product-integrated-1.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  79.4 KB

The integrated is a nice compact design.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Several guys over at AudioShark have them and could speak to the sound.

I am sorry this was meant to be a little tongue in cheek. I will never be at an economic level where I could afford a $45,000 dollar integrated amp. I thought there might be comments on the price and sadly it might be worth it. Of course it is not attainable for me. Oh and I would pair it with speakers a little more upscale than my Focal 806V's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    I really did not think you would actually purchase one, but thought you be interested in the sound.

As for speakers, it is sometimes truly amazing how lower priced speakers can sound when paired with gear above their league. Case in point are my 2 pairs of $700 speakers, JM Labs Tantal 509s and Dynaudio 42s paired with my VAC-Counterpoint setup. One would never expect them to be as convincing as they are.
    JohnMichael likes this.

I got to hear a $120,000 system a few months ago with a pair of Ayre mono blocks, Ayre preamp, a $16K modwright CD player and Wilson Alexia speakers. It sounded great, the best system that I have heard, but definitely not worth $120K.

I got to compare it to a system with a $9k ARC LS27 tube preamp, a Mac MC452 amp, Bel Canto CDP and a pair of Magnepan 3.7i's. Total cost probably under $30K that sounded almost as good.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I really did not think you would actually purchase one, but thought you be interested in the sound.

As for speakers, it is sometimes truly amazing how lower priced speakers can sound when paired with gear above their league. Case in point are my 2 pairs of $700 speakers, JM Labs Tantal 509s and Dynaudio 42s paired with my VAC-Counterpoint setup. One would never expect them to be as convincing as they are.

I totally agree. The JBL Studio 530's, MoFi OML1's and Focal 806's all sound better than you would think driven by the Krell. The Onkyo A-9555 sounds good with those speakers but the level of performance is several notches above with the Krell. I have always agreed with the Linnies who did source first, then good amplification and last but not least speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I am sorry this was meant to be a little tongue in cheek. I will never be at an economic level where I could afford a $45,000 dollar integrated amp. I thought there might be comments on the price and sadly it might be worth it. Of course it is not attainable for me. Oh and I would pair it with speakers a little more upscale than my Focal 806V's.
    Not attainable by me either. The step-up from your 300i would need to be more than "nice", it would need to be effing amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I got to hear a $120,000 system a few months ago with a pair of Ayre mono blocks, Ayre preamp, a $16K modwright CD player and Wilson Alexia speakers. It sounded great, the best system that I have heard, but definitely not worth $120K.

I got to compare it to a system with a $9k ARC LS27 tube preamp, a Mac MC452 amp, Bel Canto CDP and a pair of Magnepan 3.7i's. Total cost probably under $30K that sounded almost as good.

Those diminishing returns can get quite expensive.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Not attainable by me either. The step-up from your 300i would need to be more than "nice", it would need to be effing amazing.
    Music Direct is having some amazing buys right now. The big brother to JM's amp, the S550i, is on sale for $3495 down from $5000 and the Focal 908 diamonds are marked down from $3000 to $999. This looks like the time of year to shop for a bargain.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hey John MIchael, recently sold my old Krell KAV 300i and was trying to decide whether to buy my s300i used via ebay or similar or new from Music Direct. After reading through your posts of your expectations, the fulfillment of said expectations and your positive experiences with Music Direct I think I have made up my mind to buy new from MD! Sorry, it was a little diversion of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by herodrh View Post
    Hey John MIchael, recently sold my old Krell KAV 300i and was trying to decide whether to buy my s300i used via ebay or similar or new from Music Direct. After reading through your posts of your expectations, the fulfillment of said expectations and your positive experiences with Music Direct I think I have made up my mind to buy new from MD! Sorry, it was a little diversion of the thread.

I have to admit that the Krell S-300i was the first of the integrateds from Krell I have heard. I have had it now for about 6 years. It is neutral to my ears with nothing that calls attention to itself. The S-300i has good imaging, soundstaging and depth that I have read the earlier ones did not do as well. I think you will be pleased.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hi JohnMIchael, I received my S300i, burned it in for nearly 2 wks and have some observations. It is lively, soundstage is so deep, and tight punchy base. Some strange overblown midrange artifacts using balanced interconnects not there with single ended. I finally found that the "volume" setting on my oppo bdp-95 influenced this characteristic when set above 90. Settings between 89-91 much more neutral while the balanced cable presents differently with regard to soundstage and perceived distance from instruments. Sadly, the amp hummed mightily and eliminating any possible ground loops I had to RMA it back to Krell - frowny face. I am very positive it will come back quiet, and ready to rock! Now I'm sad I don't have the old KAV 300i to fall back on.

Interested in what problems you had with yours? I'm so glad I held out for a new (demo) unit that had the full factory warranty. I came very close to buying a like new s300i for the identical price I paid MusicDirect (1499.00). Parts and labor coverage is a big help although shipping still kills you!

Quote Originally Posted by herodrh View Post
    Interested in what problems you had with yours? I'm so glad I held out for a new (demo) unit that had the full factory warranty. I came very close to buying a like new s300i for the identical price I paid MusicDirect (1499.00). Parts and labor coverage is a big help although shipping still kills you!

I purchased one from Music Direct at list price. All the input switches worked from the remote but one did not work when pressing the buttons. The amp was exceptional but I needed that switch to work. Music Direct kindly made the switch to a new S-300i.

Then one day I turned off the amp and the left channel continued to make noise after shut down. I called Krell and they wanted to check it out. They fixed it and sent it back.

Then I blew it up after using the wrong cables. Even though it was my mistake they fixed it under warranthy.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information