AR Newbie Registered Member

Plugging a new Cat5e cable into WRT54GS v1 seems to break it

The cable is a Cat5e UTP 350mhz patch cable I just got to hook up another computer to my linksys wrt54gs version 1 router and when I do so it seems to screw up the router. I was connecting and using the internet fine before I connected this cable to the router. When I plug it in, the active connection lights on the front of the router indicate that they are connected but nothing seems to go through it. When I disconnect the new cable from the router I am able to connect to the internet fine (this is how I am posting this now).

I also noticed that the connection indicator light is still on even though I took the cable out. It was port #2 on the back of my router and even though the cable is no longer plugged in, it is green. I tried powering off my cable modem and the router both for a few minuets before reconnecting them but the problem still persists, and the light is still on even though it has no cable connected to that port.

Suspended
    The type (CAT5e) of cable shouldn't make any difference, the pinout should be the same. It's possible the cable is defective and caused the port to go bad. A bad port on a switch or router is not unusual. I wouldn't plug it into another port. It could have wires crossed or shorted. Take it back where you got it. They may have a cable tester to check it. Home Depot, Lowes, or Radio Shack may have a tester also to check or you can purchase. If bad, you maybe able to have them replace your router.

Thread Information