AR Newbie Registered Member

IS HD-DVD/ Blu ray worth it for a 32" 1080p hdtv??

I just bought a sharp aquos 32" 1080p hdtv. (My wife is an interior designer and its the biggest that would fit in our cabinet...) I have a masssive dvd collection and love my movies to look as good as possible. I wouldnt mind investing in both an hd-dvd player and a playstation 3 if it made a significant increase in video quality. I was just wondering though- if I would be able to actually tell the difference on a smaller tv. Most of the places online say to notice it you have to have a larger display. Should I just stick to my upconverting dvd player??

3db
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hELWP View Post
    I just bought a sharp aquos 32" 1080p hdtv. (My wife is an interior designer and its the biggest that would fit in our cabinet...) I have a masssive dvd collection and love my movies to look as good as possible. I wouldnt mind investing in both an hd-dvd player and a playstation 3 if it made a significant increase in video quality. I was just wondering though- if I would be able to actually tell the difference on a smaller tv. Most of the places online say to notice it you have to have a larger display. Should I just stick to my upconverting dvd player??
    The answer depends on how close you sit to your display.... Here's a char that will help you...

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Don't waste your money on HD-DVD, it is a dead format. Most of the players out there have a life span, and it is about to end with no support from Toshiba after that. Focus on getting a regular bluray player(PS3 especially the earlier models are dying out around now) unless you are a gamer.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs