Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Speaker Requirements

Forum Regular

New Speaker Requirements

Now that I know that rear ported speakers will not function well in my listening room in my new house, I have to come up with a pair of speakers that either are not ported at all or have front ports.

I would like to find something that has a comparable sound to the Jamo line of speakers. Neutral to slightly warm but a balanced sound overall. Detail is good and the image is surprisingly well laid out.

Any suggestions? Would like to look at bookshelf speakers only and with a maximum price of $400.00 US.

Thanks.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Only one serious flaw that I can see with this speaker. After reading the reviews it seems evident they are not suited to fill a mid to large size room with audio. The room I have to put my stereo system in is 14' by 14' with a 9' ceiling. Not sure this speaker will sound right in a room of that size. Otherwise it is exactly what I am looking for at this time.

Do you think it would work OK in a room of that size?

My room is 12x15 for the living room and continues into the dining area so it is a fairly deep space. My speakers are about 2 1/2 feet from the back wall and I sit about 6 1/2 feet from the speakers. I would think more about the triangle of speakers and listening position more than overall room size. They are efficient and have good bass for their size.

People have used smaller speakers such as the BBC LS3/5A in their systems. I think within your budget constraints and where they will be in the room I think you will be pleased.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

There a quite a few speakers that will fit the bill. JM's recommendation is a good one. Others to consider are a pir of PSB B6's (they can be found as B stock here- Saturday Audio look under PSB specials then PSB refurbished. I bought a pair of these from here and they are a great speaker for the price, read the reviews.) Also consider a pair of the Monitor Audio Rx2's under Monitor Audio Specials and closeouts. They use a 7" woofer. I have a pair of the older S1's which have a 6.5" woofer and they have no problems filling my 17x17x12 bedroom with sound. They are a little pricier though.

B&W 685's are nice as are the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's at Music Direct. You will need some power to drive the Diamonds though. Also take a look at their Focal 806v which is on sale but a little over your budget.

Here is a Monitor Audio Bronze in your budget-
    Monitor Audio - Bronze BX-2 - 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

If you have to stay with in your budget go with the PSB B6's or the Focals. The B6's have very good bass for a bookshelf and have a slightly warmer sound. They are a little forgiving of poorly recorded music. The B6's will be able to fill a large room with sound better than the Focal 705's. They are a bigger speaker with a larger woofer.
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-30-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    People have used smaller speakers such as the BBC LS3/5A in their systems. I think within your budget constraints and where they will be in the room I think you will be pleased.
    I have to agree with this statement. Being a proud owner of ATC, Harbeth, and a custom design based on the BBC LS3, the midrange and high frequencies are superb. Pair this design with a great subwoofer(these speakers don't do bass), and it will perform like a high quality wide range speaker.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I have to agree with this statement. Being a proud owner of ATC, Harbeth, and a custom design based on the BBC LS3, the midrange and high frequencies are superb. Pair this design with a great subwoofer(these speakers don't do bass), and it will perform like a high quality wide range speaker.
    I will be using a T Class amp.

Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 50WPC (80WPC 4 Ohm) Amplifier | 310-326

Or

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier 60 WPC | 300-3800

I am wondering how a subwoofer would sound and pair up with these amps. I tried a Castle Conway 3 tower with an existing Topping T21 T amp and it could not drive those very well at all. Works well with bookshelf speakers though. I have heard the crossover networks in speakers (more than a 2 way) present issues for these amps.

That being said the Focal, PSB or MA Bronze sound like perfect speakers for this amp and my listening tastes. As luck would have it I live pretty close to Chicago and could drive there to pick up a PSB on sale.

Once my tax refund gets here I will make a decision about which speaker to buy. Most likely will go with what is still on sale since I want to spend the least amount of money possible for the best speaker at that price.

Forum Regular
    My room is 12x15 for the living room and continues into the dining area so it is a fairly deep space. My speakers are about 2 1/2 feet from the back wall and I sit about 6 1/2 feet from the speakers. I would think more about the triangle of speakers and listening position more than overall room size. They are efficient and have good bass for their size.

Thanks. This may work then. It's on my short list now.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    There a quite a few speakers that will fit the bill. JM's recommendation is a good one. Others to consider are a pir of PSB B6's (they can be found as B stock here- Saturday Audio look under PSB specials then PSB refurbished. I bought a pair of these from here and they are a great speaker for the price, read the reviews.) Also consider a pair of the Monitor Audio Rx2's under Monitor Audio Specials and closeouts. They use a 7" woofer. I have a pair of the older S1's which have a 6.5" woofer and they have no problems filling my 17x17x12 bedroom with sound. They are a little pricier though.

B&W 685's are nice as are the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's at Music Direct. You will need some power to drive the Diamonds though. Also take a look at their Focal 806v which is on sale but a little over your budget.

Here is a Monitor Audio Bronze in your budget-
    Monitor Audio - Bronze BX-2 - 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

If you have to stay with in your budget go with the PSB B6's or the Focals. The B6's have very good bass for a bookshelf and have a slightly warmer sound. They are a little forgiving of poorly recorded music. The B6's will be able to fill a large room with sound better than the Focal 705's. They are a bigger speaker with a larger woofer.
    PSB looks promising since I live pretty close to the Saturday Audio store. I think the new Wharfdale 10.1 has a rear port though the older 9.1 does not. Basing this upon what I saw in a review.

The Focal's have that midrange warmth you would like.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    The Focal's have that midrange warmth you would like.
    Excellent. Just did some quick research on the PSB Image line and it appears they are rear ported. Since I did not see a port on the front images on the PSB website, I will have to rule out that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam62 View Post
    Excellent. Just did some quick research on the PSB Image line and it appears they are rear ported. Since I did not see a port on the front images on the PSB website, I will have to rule out that line.
    That's too bad because they are a great speaker for the price. If you are going to use a sub, then you can plug up the rear port and it will tighten up the sound but give you less bass.

We have the PSB's 8"-10" from the rear wall on speaker stands and they sound great.

Just remember if you are planning on using a sub, that those 2 amps you are looking at have no line out for a sub. You will need a sub that has speaker level inputs unless you eventually decide to use a preamp with those amps.

Those wharfedale 10.1's have a sensitivity of 86db. Those 2 little amps will have a hard time getting the most out of the W's. I would look elsewhere.

You should give a listen to these-
    DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY STUDIO MONITOR 55 SPEAKERS **DEMO** at Music Direct

SoundStage! Global | SoundStageGlobal.com | DefTech's Surprising StudioMonitor 55

I have a pair of the promonitor 1000 and they have the passive bass radiator on top and it works great at extending the bass.

Its kind of crazy that they have those speakers paired with probably over $20,000 of Pass Labs monoblock amps. They would make any speaker sound good
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-30-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    BlackRaven. The SM55 looks like a possibility as well. I don't think the top sided passive radiator will be too much of a problem even in the recessed area of the room where I have to locate the speaker. Will do more research on it. As long as the high end is not bright like Klipsch, it would probably work.

I still have my Qinpu A3 amp. Plan to use that along with the T class amp. The Qinpu easily drives my 6 ohm 86 db sensitivity Jamo C601 speakers and I don't need to get the volume turned up past about 10 AM to get plenty of loudness for my taste. If worse comes to worse, I can switch amps out but I just have to be sure to have no rear port on my next pair of speakers. Won't work right in the living room.

If you have a Best Buy store near you, you may be able to listen to the SM55's.

Here is a stereophile review of them.

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    If you have a Best Buy store near you, you may be able to listen to the SM55's.

Here is a stereophile review of them.

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I will see if they are carried in a local store. Noted Stereophile gives the SM 45 a big thumbs up and a endorsement in its price category. After reading this I got to thinking if I can figure out a way to block the recessed area of the living room next to the fireplace with a large book case and fill it with my books. I am thinking that might make the room more accoustically friendly for a rear ported speaker, which the SM 54 happens to be.

Trying to find a front ported or non ported speaker these days is a real pain in the neck. And it seems as though there are even fewer of these in the higher priced speaker categories.

One thing to consider if you are planning on getting a sub is to skip the sub and put more money to the speakers. The Focal 806's are front ported and a great deal at music direct.

FOCAL CHORUS 806V BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

or the 807's-

FOCAL CHORUS 807V BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

or the NHT Classic 3's and Classic 2's which are non ported

NHT - Classic Model Three-Audio Advisor
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    One thing to consider if you are planning on getting a sub is to skip the sub and put more money to the speakers. The Focal 806's are front ported and a great deal at music direct.

FOCAL CHORUS 806V BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

or the 807's-

FOCAL CHORUS 807V BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

or the NHT Classic 3's and Classic 2's which are non ported

NHT - Classic Model Three-Audio Advisor
    Thanks. No, not planning on a subwoofer at this time. Would only do that if I bought the Super Zero 2.1which has no real bass to speak.

Read the Stereophile comments on the SM 55. Sounds like the high end on it will not be to my liking. Not refined at all according to the write up in the latest edition of the magazine. Overall a great speaker but for my sensitive ears I absolutely have to have a refined high end. The Focal is a better match in this regard.

I am going to check with someone that has very good knowledge about room acoustics to see if by putting a large book case in the corner recess of the room, I can make it more acoustic friendly for a rear ported speaker.
    Last edited by Billiam62; 03-31-2014 at 04:07 PM.

My Focal 806's have good bass. Check the ratings of the Focal 705 & 706 in The Absolute Sound.

Focal Chorus 706V Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound

The Focal 705's have been included in their annual listing of products with the 706's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

If you can find a pair or Audio Note bookshelf speakers, they are made to be placed in a corner.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    My Focal 806's have good bass. Check the ratings of the Focal 705 & 706 in The Absolute Sound.

Focal Chorus 706V Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound

The Focal 705's have been included in their annual listing of products with the 706's.
    Yes, the Focal 705v definitely interests me. The reviews I've read seem to suggest it has the right kind of high end and midrange that will suit my taste. Bass should be adequate. I don't need heavy bass that will shake a room but something that is a bit punchy yet balanced without over riding the lower midrange works for me.

If you can find a pair or Audio Note bookshelf speakers, they are made to be placed in a corner.

Way out of his budget.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Hey, thanks for these links. I will do some research on these particular models. I've heard of the Paradigm Mini Monitor but not the B and W model. Price is in the ballpark on each of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam62 View Post
    Yes, the Focal 705v definitely interests me. The reviews I've read seem to suggest it has the right kind of high end and midrange that will suit my taste. Bass should be adequate. I don't need heavy bass that will shake a room but something that is a bit punchy yet balanced without over riding the lower midrange works for me.

Music Direct offers a 30 day trial. I would check to be sure if that is true with close out models. Hearing them in your room first would be good.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC