I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Beck - Morning Phase

Just popping in to mention if there are any fans of Beck here that if you have not done so you need to run out and get the new release. A great offering IMO! The comparisons to "Sea Change" are more than fair (especially on the first 2 tracks) but this work stands on its own. This will be in my early morning - late night listening rotation for quite awhile.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Thanks. My wife pre-ordered the vinyl for Valentine's. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. My son texted me saying I need to hear it. I'm trying to avoid listening or sampling til it arrives.

Forum Regular
    The music might be good but the name is palgiarized.
    If I put out a hit song or CD, I wouldn't do it under the stage name of Page Clapton.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Nice album and it sounds lovely. In a line of similar Beck albums, I'd place it behind Sea Change 'cause it lacks a 'Paper Tiger' and close to Mutations, although I think Mutations has more charm. Really well produced and cohesive though. Nice to hear. 'Morning' is a great start and overall the album makes pretty good morning music for a slow start day.
    TCA ATT GGA

My .02: I like side 1. It's familiar in a good way. It probably could've followed "Sea Change". I haven't gotten past the first track on side 2 yet. Been jumping to other new arrivals after side 1, especially Mutual Benefit's Love's Crushing Diamond.

It maybe the weekend before I explore side 2 further.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    The music might be good but the name is palgiarized.
    If I put out a hit song or CD, I wouldn't do it under the stage name of Page Clapton.
    I'm not sure to what you're referring, MC. Which "name"? Album title? Artist name? Song title (which I rarely pay attention to anymore)? I'm probably missing something obvious, but please explain for the slow-witted.

I was wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    I'm not sure to what you're referring, MC. Which "name"? Album title? Artist name? Song title (which I rarely pay attention to anymore)? I'm probably missing something obvious, but please explain for the slow-witted.
    He sure didn't go into any detail, but from what I'm seeing, this new Beck release is among the best of the year so far.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I'm guessing he's referring to Beck as in Jeff Beck. At least Beck (which MC is actually his first name, if you didn't know) doesn't call his band Led Yardbirds
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Thread Information